Best new cars coming in 2021 - Tesla to Volkswagen
From electric cars to supercars, this is our list of the best new cars coming in 2021
Tesla Model Y
- On sale: Summer 2021
The Tesla Model Y looks like a tall Model 3 with good reason: it shares around 75 per cent of its parts with the brand’s saloon.
But what it lacks in sleek lines it makes up for with versatility, because while performance, range and charging times all impress, it seats up to seven people, too. Tesla claims a range of up to 314 miles, while using the public Supercharger network will see the car add 168 miles of range in just 15 minutes.
Predictably, straight-line pace is mighty, regardless of spec, although the ride is stiffer than some SUV buyers might like.
Toyota RAV4 PHEV
- On sale: Early 2021
Toyota’s second plug-in hybrid boasts some impressive headline figures: 302bhp, a 0-62mph time of 6.2 seconds, CO2 emissions of 29g/km and an impressive 38 miles of all-electric range. That’s made possible by the combination of a 2.5-litre petrol engine and a pair of electric motors. The front axle is driven by the engine and one motor, while the rear is driven by the second motor alone.
The flagship RAV4 has a number of design tweaks over the standard car, including a set of 19-inch alloy wheels, and like the regular hybrid model, the PHEV version will have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity.
Toyota Yaris Cross
- On sale: Early 2021
Unlike the Fiesta Active, this is no jacked-up hatchback; it is far closer to the Ford Puma in size. It’ll be offered with a hybrid powertrain from launch, and two and four-wheel-drive versions will be available. While it will share its wheelbase with the Yaris hatch, it should have more cabin space thanks to being 240mm longer overall and 90mm taller. Indeed, Toyota says the cabin will be roomier than the larger C-HR’s.
- On sale: 2021
Vauxhall is pushing ahead with a rapid model makeover in the wake of its takeover by the PSA Group – and one of the big steps will come next year with a new generation of Astra.
The British firm’s boss recently told us that the hatch will get a radical look, incorporating the latest family face and a more aggressive roofline, as seen in our exclusive image.
The new Astra will sit on the same EMP2 platform as the current Peugeot 308, so petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid options will be offered. There’s also the possibility of a VXR PHEV, with twin electric motors and 300bhp.
- On sale: Spring 2021
The small SUV market continues to grow, and Vauxhall will reintroduce one of its biggest names when the all-new Mokka arrives in the first quarter of 2021. The latest Mokka sits on the PSA CMP platform – and that means that a pure-electric version of the car will be available alongside a range of 1.2-litre turbo petrol variants, as well as a single 1.5-litre diesel edition.
Vauxhall’s baby crossover gets a complete styling overhaul, with a totally new front-end look and shorter overhangs but a slightly longer wheelbase. So it should feel even more compact on the road, while matching the interior space of its predecessor.
Volkswagen ID. 4
- On sale: Early 2021
Production of VW’s second ID. model, the ID.4 SUV, has already started, but a slightly delayed official reveal means that UK buyers will have to wait until spring 2021 to get one. The ID.4 follows much of the ID.3’s recipe, including that car’s MEB platform, but it has a more conventional SUV look.
Two battery sizes are available - a 55kWh unit and a larger 77kWh - although the larger one will arrive in the UK first, offering a maximum range of 323 miles on a single charge.
Expect the line-up to open with a rear-wheel-drive model, although four-wheel-drive editions will become available over time. There will be a variety of battery sizes, and the largest of these should deliver a range of more than 300 miles between charges.
- 1Best new cars coming in 2021 - Alfa Romeo to BMWFrom electric cars to supercars, this is our list of the best new cars coming in 2021
- 2Best new cars coming in 2021 - Citroen to HyundaiFrom electric cars to supercars, this is our list of the best new cars coming in 2021
- 3Best new cars coming in 2021 - Ioniq to LotusFrom electric cars to supercars, this is our list of the best new cars coming in 2021
- 4Best new cars coming in 2021 - Mercedes to NissanFrom electric cars to supercars, this is our list of the best new cars coming in 2021
- 5Best new cars coming in 2021 - Peugeot to SkodaFrom electric cars to supercars, this is our list of the best new cars coming in 2021
- 6Best new cars coming in 2021 - Tesla to Volkswagen - currently readingFrom electric cars to supercars, this is our list of the best new cars coming in 2021
- 7Best new cars coming in 2022 and beyondThe world may be changing all the time but that doesn't stop manufacturers planning ahead. From electric crossovers to hatchbacks, these are the new models set for debut in 2022