Safest executive car: Volkswagen Arteon
Premium quality mixed with excellent safety and low running costs. What’s not to like about the VW Arteon?
The Volkswagen Arteon is a worthy flagship for the VW range, and while this 4-door coupe may not be a direct replacement for the CC, there is no denying that visually they appear similar. It goes up against the likes of the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe and Audi A5 Sportback, but neither of those can claim the best in class for executive cars in the 2017 Euro NCAP tests.
The Arteon scored highly across the board, in coming at 96% and 85% for adult and child occupant protection respectively. Pedestrian and safety assist areas were also strong, achieving 85% in the former and 82% for the later.
Drivers looking for a well-equipped company car may want to look towards the Passat for the financial savings, as it can match its sleeker sibling on most criteria. However, if the best safety ratings and some extra style are more important to you, the VW Arteon is a great option.
Safest executive car - previous winners
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest small family car: Mercedes A-ClassAs well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
- 3Safest large family car: Lexus ESExecutive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
- 4Safest large SUV: Hyundai NexoNew SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
- 5Safest hybrid & electric car: Lexus ESA second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
- 6Safest supermini: Volkswagen PoloEuro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
- 7Safest small MPV: Opel/Vauxhall Crossland XThe Crossland X came as a much needed replacement for the old Meriva, offering styling in line with modern trends and great safety ratings
- 8Safest large MPV: Ford GalaxySafety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
- 9Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5Good-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
- 10Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-RocThe T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers
- 11Safest executive car: Volkswagen Arteon - currently readingPremium quality mixed with excellent safety and low running costs. What’s not to like about the VW Arteon?