BMW 3 Series 320d - Best diesels
BMW returned to form with the latest 3 Series by shedding weight, improving driving dynamics and adding an impressive array of technology
The 320d will be a popular choice within the 3 Series range as the 187bhp unit possess genuine performance.
The 3 Series has also lost up to 55kg, which not only helps it return to the top of the class for handling but improves fuel economy. The 320d can achieve 53.3mpg on a combined cycle and while that may not sound particularly impressive, it has undergone the stricter WLTP tests so those figures are more similar to what you’ll see in real world driving.
The previous generation 3 Series was a strong competitor in the compact executive saloon sector but the Mercedes C-Class was more refined and the Jaguar XE better to drive. The new car however, has gone straight to the top of the class.
Best diesel cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionCovering all the bases, here's our view on the best diesel cars to have on your shortlist if you're buying a car in 2020
- 2Renault Megane dCi 115The Megane is a front-runner in the compact hatchback class, especially in diesel guise
- 3Vauxhall Insignia GSThe Vauxhall Insignia is surprisingly good to drive, practical and with a great range of punchy diesel engines
- 4BMW 320d - currently readingBMW returned to form with the latest 3 Series by shedding weight, improving driving dynamics and adding an impressive array of technology
- 5Mercedes S 350 dMassive road presence and a cosseting interior mean the Mercedes S-Class is our top luxury car, and it's at its best in diesel guise
- 6Volvo XC90 D5 MomentumThe XC90 comes with a variety of powertrains, but the diesel is still the best all-rounder
- 7Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDIThe Skoda Karoq had big shoes to fill in the shape of the popular Yeti, but its appeal is amplified by sensible diesel engines
- 8Honda Civic i-DTECSmooth and refined i-DTEC diesel adds another string to hatchback's bow
- 9Range Rover SDV6 VogueThe Range Rover mixes incredible refinement with go anywhere off-road capability, especially with the V6 diesel
- 10BMW 520dThe 520d is a great all-rounder - mixing comfort, economy and performance in a practical package
- 11Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDiThe Peugeot 3008’s bold looks, funky interior and efficient diesel engines make it hugely appealing