Citroen C3 review - Reliability and safety
Proven engines and well-known chassis parts should bring solid reliability, while there's decent safety kit
Included in the C3’s roster of safety equipment is a lane departure warning system, speed sign recognition and speed warnings, a fatigue alert and three Isofix mounting points (two in the rear, one in the front passenger seat). The facelifted model also added front parking sensors.
The C3 achieved a four star Euro NCAP safety rating in 2017, receiving 88 and 83% for adult occupant and child occupant safety, respectively.
The C3 didn’t feature in our 2020 Driver Power car customer satisfaction survey, although the C3 Aircross came 66th out of 75 in the list of best cars to own, while Citroen finished 18th out of 30 manufacturers.
There’s nothing particularly special about Citroen’s warranty; it lasts for three years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes soonest. That being said, the first two years are not limited by mileage, but should you exceed 60,000 miles, you will not get the final 12 months of cover. This is just about standard for the industry, but some rivals – notably offerings from Kia, Hyundai and Toyota – offer much longer cover, at up to seven years in Kia’s case.
The servicing intervals on the C3 are as conventional as its warranty; it requires maintenance every year or 12,500 miles. Citroen offers a simple service plan, which covers you for 36 months for £15.99 a month.
In this review
- 1Citroen C3 reviewThe efficient Citroen C3 brings personalisation to the masses in the supermini class
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe C3 is more comfortable than thrilling, although higher-powered petrol engines are pretty strong
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThree-cylinder petrols are pretty miserly on fuel; BlueHDi diesel offers an impressively low CO2 figure
- 4Interior, design and technologySome neat practical touches and a funky design make the C3’s cabin stand out from the class average
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceDecent boot for a modern supermini, but few other tricks to make the Citroen C3 stand out from the rest of the class
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingProven engines and well-known chassis parts should bring solid reliability, while there's decent safety kit