Hyundai Kona Electric review - Reliability and safety
Kona Electric customers benefit from good reliability, an excellent warranty and solid safety credentials
Hyundai is a brand whose reputation for making safe and reliable cars is building, and a 13th-place finish out of 30 manufacturers in our 2020 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey is a sign the company is moving in the right direction.
The Kona Electric has not been crash tested by Euro NCAP, but the standard Hyundai Kona received the maximum of five stars, with an 87% score for adult protection and an 85% child protection rating.
Standard safety kit includes autonomous emergency braking, lane-keep assist, forward collision warning and six airbags – one less than the Kia e-Niro. It’s worth stepping up to Premium trim to add blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert – especially if you do lots of town driving – while the improved lane-keep assistance makes motorway jaunts safer too.
The Kona Electric is subject to the same excellent five-year, unlimited-mileage warranty that applies to all conventionally powered Hyundai models. Kia offers its e-Niro with a seven-year warranty, but with a 100,000-mile limit.
Hyundai offers a comprehensive fixed-price servicing plan that can be tailored to your requirements. Yearly services are required as per a conventional model, but expect slightly shorter mileage intervals.
In this review
- 1Hyundai Kona Electric reviewBig on range and performance, practical and stylish – the Hyundai Kona Electric is a fantastic EV
- 2Engines, performance and driveGreat performance and smooth, relaxed road manners make the Kona Electric one of the best-driving EVs around
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe Kona Electric boasts a 278-mile range in 64kWh guise – more than enough for most buyers
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Kona Electric is just as stylish as its internal-combustion siblings, with build quality and tech to match
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceWhile not as capacious as the Kia e-Niro, the Kona Electric is still a comfortable and practical EV
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingKona Electric customers benefit from good reliability, an excellent warranty and solid safety credentials