Jeep Compass review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
Latest Jeep models are pretty efficient, although the off-road capability exerts a price
While the Jeep Compass is only a medium-sized SUV, its sturdy build, high ground clearance and four-wheel-drive powertrain all point to efficiency levels that will fall below those of some of its more road-focused crossover rivals.
If you want the most efficient Compass then you'll need to choose the 118hp 1.6 MultiJet diesel 2WD manual, which should return around 43mpg with CO2 emissions of 157g/km. Go for the most powerful 168hp diesel nine-speed auto with four-wheel-drive (available solely in TrailHawk spec) and the figures are inevitably poorer, with claimed economy of 38.7mpg and emissions of 191g/km.
Choosing the 138bhp 1.4 Multiair petrol model means you'll see average fuel economy of 36.7mpg and CO2 emissions of 172g/km, while the 168bhp version with nine-speed automatic transmission and 4WD is only able to achieve 30.7mpg on the combined cycle, with 208g/km of CO2.
The Compass has a reasonable range of insurance classifications, ranging from Group 17-23.
Residual values for the Jeep Compass are surprisingly strong, with figures in the 43-46% range after three-years/36,000-miles of ownership - pretty respectable when compared to its rivals. Whether values will fall, only time will tell, but strong brand loyalty from Jeep buyers is sure to have a positive effect on these residual scores.
In this review
- 1VerdictStylish, comfortable and more usable off-road than the average crossover, the Jeep Compass has plenty to offer
- 2Engines, performance and driveTerrific off-road, especially in Trailhawk spec, but the Compass loses ground to rivals on tarmac
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingLatest Jeep models are pretty efficient, although the off-road capability exerts a price
- 4Interior, design and technologyCrisp exterior style has showroom appeal, but the Compass is a little dreary inside
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Jeep Compass is spacious and roomy, in spite of its sporty roofline
- 6Reliability and SafetyThe Compass has excellent safety scores, and much of its tech is tried and tested