SEAT Alhambra - best people carriers and MPVs
The SEAT Alhambra is mechanically identical to the classy and spacious VW Sharan, but cheaper
The SEAT Alhambra has been a regular feature in our top 10 MPVs since its launch – and it’s easy to see why. It’s blessed with the best that the Volkswagen Group parts bin can offer – strong, turbocharged petrol and diesel engines, most of the essential technology for family life and a spacious, well-thought-out interior with genuine space for seven.
The presence of the SEAT badge on the front shouldn’t put you off either – it may be identical to the Volkswagen Sharan, but without the prestige of the VW badge the SEAT Alhambra is cheaper than its sibling.
A feather in the Alhambra’s cap comes from its twin sliding doors, which make access really easy even in tight car parks. Once inside, you’ll find ample space in all three rows for adults, plus a very usable load space. With all the seats up, there’s still a supermini-rivalling 267 litres of space – plenty for a weekly shop – but drop the rear and middle rows to free up 1,167 litres and a cavernous 2,297 litres respectively.
Given the Alhambra’s size and weight, most will go for one of the excellent diesel engines. Cheapest to run is the 113bhp Ecomotive engine, with claimed economy of 50.1mpg. Don’t write off a petrol engine straight away, though – if you mostly do short school runs and shopping trips, you could find the 1.4 TSI petrol a worthy choice.
Best people carriers and MPVs
- 1IntroductionHere are the 10 best MPVs and people carriers to buy this year – all loaded with family-friendly features and lots of space
- 21. Citroen Berlingo MultispaceIt's not the most stylish, but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace offers van-like practicality and good value
- 32. Citroen C4 SpaceTourer/Grand C4 SpaceTourerThe Citroen C4 SpaceTourer offers great fuel economy, a practical interior and a hefty dose of style
- 43. Renault Grand ScenicA total redesign has turned the Renault Grand Scenic from a dowdy family bus into a stylish MPV with a crossover vibe
- 54. Ford S-MAXBased on the Mondeo, Ford’s seven-seater is still the best MPV to drive, and it’s impressively practical, too
- 65. Kia CarensKia's Carens MPV won't set the world alight with its design, but it makes a sound buy thanks to strong economy and a class leading warranty
- 76. Vauxhall Zafira TourerBigger and better-looking than its predecessor, the Zafira Tourer is a great option for comfortable family transport
- 87. Ford C-MAX/Grand C-MAXOne of the finest handling small MPVs on sale, the C-MAX is also impressively practical and available with five or seven seats
- 98. BMW 2 Series Active Tourer/Gran TourerGood-looking, great to drive and luxuriously equipped, the 2 Series Gran Tourer is a worthy first MPV from BMW
- 109. Ford Tourneo ConnectA van-based MPV that drives like a car, the Ford Tourneo Connect isn’t as refined as the competition, but it’s practical and well priced
- 1110. SEAT Alhambra - currently readingThe SEAT Alhambra is mechanically identical to the classy and spacious VW Sharan, but cheaper