The number of fatal drink-drive accidents in Great Britain increased by 26 per cent in 2012, according to provisional figures from the Government.
The statistics show that in total 290 people died in an accident involving a driver found to be over the limit. This is up from 230 in 2011.
This figure made up 17 per cent of all road deaths across Great Britain, though the figures could change when they are officially confirmed next year.
Amongst the number of people killed in drink-drive accidents, 68 per cent were drivers and riders found to be over the limit. The other 32 per cent was made up of other road users involved in the accident.
There were a total of 6,680 accidents involving a driver or rider over the alcohol limit in 2012. The number of people seriously injured in these was 1,210, down by five per cent on the previous year, while there were 8,500 slight injuries.
Numbers have been on the decline since records began in 1979, when the number of deaths was 1,640. However, 2011 marked the lowest total recorded at 230.
Local Transport Minister Norman Baker said: "These latest figures are provisional, but any road death is one too many and we are absolutely not complacent when it comes to road safety.
"That is why we are taking forward a package of measures to streamline enforcement against drink-driving, including approving portable evidential breath-testing equipment which will allow for more effective and efficient enforcement."
Institute of Advance Motorists (IAM) director of policy and research Neil Greig said: "The IAM is concerned that despite continued police campaigns the message does not seem to be getting through to a minority of drivers.
“This increase shows the critical need for the Department for Transport to reverse cuts in publicity funding and continue to ram home the message that drink driving kills.”