Our Best Buy in the over £32k class also takes the honours in the heavyweight four-wheel-drive category. The VW Touareg has colossal hauling ability, as its 3,500kg maximum towing weight suggests. And the rest of the package doesn’t disappoint.
The refined 3.0-litre V6 TDI diesel engine outshone its rivals in this class, while the car impressed our judges with its handling and stability on the testing Millbrook hill route.
The Touareg doesn’t come cheap, but running costs are reasonable for a car of this size, with official fuel economy of 37.2mpg and residual value predictions of 46.2 per cent. So this is the best heavyweight tow car around.
Over 1,800kg finalists
1. VW Touareg Escape 3.0 V6 TDI (240) 8-spd Tiptronic
2. Infiniti FX30d S Premium
3. Mercedes G350 BlueTEC LWB
4. Vauxhall Antara SE 2.2 CDTI AWD
5. VW Amarok Highline 2.0 BiTDI (163) 4MOTION
6. Volvo XC70 D3 AWD Volvo Ocean Race