Toyota Mirai hydrogen car scores surprise sales hit

Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel-cell car secures 1,500 orders in first month in Japan, production to be tripled in 2016

Toyota has announced plans to increase production of its Mirai hydrogen fuel-cell car after first-month orders in Japan tripled projections. The Japanese firm is building 700 customer examples of the car this year, but plans to extend that to 2,000 cars in 2016 and 3,000 in 2017.

Best green cars to buy now

The Mirai has so far proven a better-than-expected success after order books opened in Japan at the end of last year. Toyota's initial plan was to shift around 400 examples in 2015, but in its first month nearly 1,500 orders were put down for the Hyundai ix35 Hydrogen rival in its home market. 

According to Toyota, around 60 per cent of the Mirai orders put down were from Japanese government/private fleet customers, with the other 40 per cent from private buyers. It's expected that some of these customers will have to wait longer to take delivery than first thought due to manufacturing delays, which is why production is set to be stepped up. 

The Mirai will go on sale in Europe later this year, with UK deliveries expected in September. It will be one of the first private vehicles that runs on pure hydrogen to make a mass market debut here. In October last year, the British Government announced plans for £11million of funding into our hydroen fuelling infrastructure, which will hopefully coincide with the Mirai's release.

Would you consider buying a hydrogen fuelled car? Let us know in the comments section below...

Recommended

Second-generation Toyota Mirai officially unveiled
Toyota Mirai - Tokyo Motor Show front
Toyota Mirai

Second-generation Toyota Mirai officially unveiled

Hydrogen-electric Toyota Mirai saloon has entered its second generation, sporting an improved powertrain and fresh styling
30 Nov 2020
New Toyota Mirai prototype review
Toyota Mirai

New Toyota Mirai prototype review

We get behind the wheel of a prototype version of the second-generation Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell car
30 Nov 2020
Hydrogen-powered Toyota Mirai popemobile built for Pope Francis
Toyota Mirai

Hydrogen-powered Toyota Mirai popemobile built for Pope Francis

Specially modified Toyota Mirai popemobile for his holiness, complete with an elevated rear seat and gilded insignias
12 Oct 2020

Most Popular

New Suzuki Swace estate launched on UK market
News

New Suzuki Swace estate launched on UK market

Based on the Toyota Corolla Touring Sports, the Suzuki Swace estate comes to the UK
11 Nov 2020
All-new Renault Kangoo van unveiled ahead of 2021 launch
Renault Kangoo ZE Concept - show pic
Renault Kangoo

All-new Renault Kangoo van unveiled ahead of 2021 launch

First images of the third-generation Renault Kangoo panel van - which will soon square-up to the new Volkswagen Caddy
12 Nov 2020
How to transfer a number plate from one car to another
MINI number plate change
Tips & advice

How to transfer a number plate from one car to another

Need to know how to transfer a number plate between vehicles? Our step-by-step guide breaks it down
22 Nov 2020