We look back at the greatest moments in motorsport down the years
Motorsport is all about moments; places and times where driver bravery and brilliance combine with engineering excellence and the essential slice of luck to produce magic. It’s the stuff that hooks fans, keeping them coming back for more and the history of motorsport, down the years and across the disciplines, is steeped in it.
Formula One, endurance racing, rallying, touring cars, GT racing, every flavour of motorsport has its legendary drivers, cars, engineers and performances and today we have well over a century of them to look back on. It made the selection of our greatest motorsport moments an incredibly difficult task but our judges stuck to it and the results are in these pages.
These Motorsport Moments represent our pick of the definitive moments that have defined the sport we love in its many forms. You might disagree with some of them but there’s a comments section below for you to voice your views and suggest the moments that have shaped your own passion for motorsport.
You’ll find words and images for each of the great moments we’ve selected here and we’ll be adding more unforgettable moments to the series over the coming weeks...
- 1Introduction - currently readingWe look back at the greatest moments in motorsport down the years
- 2Toyota TS050 Hybrid breaks Le Mans lap recordWe look back at Kamui Kobayashi’s amazing 2017 qualifying lap in our series on great moments from motorsport history.
- 3British Touring Cars’ 1994 seasonFrom Volvo 850 estates to Alfa Romeo aero controversies and fierce on-track rivalries, the peak of Super Touring had it all
- 4Colin McRae wins the World Rally ChampionshipThe 1995 Network Q RAC Rally was a landmark moment in the history of the World Rally Championship, and cemented Colin McRae’s place as one of the sport’s all-time greats
- 5Michael Schumacher’s four-stop French GPThe odds were against Schumacher and Ferrari at this 2004 race, but a clever and unexpected strategy call won the day
- 6Loeb shatters Pikes Peak recordThe nine-time World Rally champion was on the hunt for new challenges in 2013, and an iconic US hillclimb fitted the bill
- 7BMW’s M1 Procars steal the showFor two brief seasons, F1 drivers faced sportscar and touring-car aces in race-prepped supercars on Grand Prix weekends
- 8Kris Meeke flies in Rally Finland battleThe fast, flowing gravel stages of Rally Finland are notoriously difficult, but Brit Kris Meeke had the measure of the locals in 2016 to take an historic victory
- 9Clash of the world’s fastest Ford Sierra RS500sThe 1988 Tourist Trophy at Silverstone saw the fastest Ford touring cars from the UK, Europe and Australia go head to head to find the quickest Sierra Cosworth of them all
- 10The first-ever Formula E raceBeijing in China was the venue for the world’s first electric single-seater series to kick off
- 11Mazda 787B triumphs at Le Mans 1991The spectacular rotary-engined Mazda 787B screamed its way into endurance-racing history in 1991
- 12Giant-killing Citroen Xsara wins back-to-back in 1999Philippe Bugalski and the high-revving Citroen Xsara F2 kit car made unique history in the World Rally Championship
- 13Audi's 1980s rallying revolutionA humble 4x4 inspired engineers to build the Audi Quattro, the car that transformed the WRC
- 14Sir Stirling Moss gives Lotus its first Grand Prix win at Monaco 1960Lotus and Sir Stirling Moss took victory at a rain-affected, three-hour-long Monaco epic
- 15How Mercedes' 'secret weapon' lead Penske to 1994 IndyCar 500 winTeam boss Roger Penske and engine guru Mario Ilien exploited an IndyCar rules loophole to devastating effect in 1994