Safest large family car: Lexus ES
Executive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
The large family car award is a bit of a catch-all category, so while the Lexus ES wins this year, it takes the crown from the Toyota Prius. If you're looking to buy an ES, then you wouldn't consider the Prius to be a rival - although both cars do use Toyota's pioneering petrol-electric hybrid technology.
The ES is the replacement for the GS executive saloon and rivals cars such as the Audi A6 and Jaguar XF. It ditches rear-wheel drive in favour of front-wheel drive, although that's no great loss because Lexus models are geared towards comfort rather than sharp handling.
Euro NCAP awarded the ES a five-star safety rating and has made it the Best Large Family Car title holder. There are scores of 91% for adult protection, 87% for child safety and an excellent 90% score for pedestrian protection. The latter was achieved thanks to a pop-up bonnet that offered good protection from hard points underneath, and an autonomous emergency braking system that was effective in detecting pedestrians and cyclists.
Safest large family car - previous winners
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest small family car: Mercedes A-ClassAs well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
- 3Safest large family car: Lexus ES - currently readingExecutive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
- 4Safest large SUV: Hyundai NexoNew SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
- 5Safest hybrid & electric car: Lexus ESA second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
- 6Safest supermini: Volkswagen PoloEuro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
- 7Safest small MPV: Opel/Vauxhall Crossland XThe Crossland X came as a much needed replacement for the old Meriva, offering styling in line with modern trends and great safety ratings
- 8Safest large MPV: Ford GalaxySafety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
- 9Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5Good-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
- 10Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-RocThe T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers