Safest electric and executive car: Mercedes EQS
The Mercedes EQS is a double achiever - it's not only Euro NCAP's safest electric car but its the safest executive car, too.
The Mercedes EQS has not only had to compete with the might of the Tesla Model S during its relatively short time within the growing electric executive car market, but it has also been expected to live up to the very high standards set by its petrol-powered flagship sister model, the S-Class.
Fortunately for Mercedes, they have certainly done an excellent job in proving the EQS’s ability when it comes to safety. It was not only ranked as Euro NCAP’s safest electric car of 2021, but it was also the safest executive car, too.
Adult occupant safety scored a whopping 96% thanks to the structural protection of the passenger compartment, as well as a multitude of airbags and the multi-collision braking system.
Child occupant safety also scored an impressive 91%. The safety assist score was notably lower at just 80%, this was partly due to some of the more advanced safety features only being available as options. Vulnerable-road-user safety scored a respectable 76%, with the EQS’s ‘Active Bonnet’ proving to be particularly effective at protecting a struck pedestrian.
Safest hybrid and electric cars - previous winners
- 2020: No winner
- 2019: Tesla Model 3
- 2018: Lexus ES
- 2017: Subaru Impreza/XV
- 2016: Hyundai Ioniq
- 2015: Infiniti Q30
- 2014: Nissan Qashqai
- 2013: Qoros 3 Sedan
- 2012: Volvo V40
- 2011: Ford Focus
- 2010: Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Safest executive car - previous winners
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest electric and executive car: Mercedes EQS - currently readingThe Mercedes EQS is a double achiever - it's not only Euro NCAP's safest electric car but its the safest executive car, too.
- 3Safest small family car: Skoda FabiaThe latest Fabia packs cutting-edge safety tech into a reasonably-priced package
- 4Safest small MPV: Toyota Yaris CrossThe Yaris Cross shares many things with the Yaris hatchback, including a five-star safety rating
- 5Safest small SUV: Nissan QashqaiThe Qashqai's fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers
- 6Safest large SUV: Skoda Enyaq iVSkoda's first electric car has truly set the benchmark for safety
- 7Safest large family cars 2019: Tesla Model 3 and BMW 3 SeriesThese two cars came in joint first when originally tested in 2019