Safest hybrid and electric car: Lexus ES
A second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
Not content with the large family car award, the Lexus ES was also awarded the first-ever hybrid & electric award from Euro NCAP. Why the Lexus ahead of the other car tested with an alternative fuel source, the Hyundai Nexo? Well, the Lexus had a higher set of percentage scores to go with its five-star overall rating.
The ES is an executive saloon that offers petrol-electric drive and a plush interior that's packed with comfort and technology. And there's more technology under the skin, with autonomous emergency braking, lane departure warning and speed limit detection all fitted.
And there are the usual suite of active safety features you would expect from a premium saloon such as this. This includes knee airbags for both driver and passenger, as well as curtain and side airbags that run the full length of the cabin, protecting front and rear seat occupants equally.
As already mentioned, the Lexus ES was the first winner of the Best Hybrid & Electric Car award, although with so many new hybrids and EVs due in showrooms, it will do well to hold on to its crown at the end of 2019.
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest small family car: Mercedes A-ClassAs well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
- 3Safest large family car: Lexus ESExecutive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
- 4Safest large SUV: Hyundai NexoNew SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
- 5Safest hybrid & electric car: Lexus ES - currently readingA second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
- 6Safest supermini: Volkswagen PoloEuro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
- 7Safest small MPV: Opel/Vauxhall Crossland XThe Crossland X came as a much needed replacement for the old Meriva, offering styling in line with modern trends and great safety ratings
- 8Safest large MPV: Ford GalaxySafety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
- 9Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5Good-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
- 10Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-RocThe T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers