Safest small MPV: Toyota Yaris Cross
The Yaris Cross shares many things with the Yaris hatchback, including a five-star safety rating
The Toyota Yaris Cross is the first non-hatchback to wear the Yaris name but, just like the current Yaris hatchback and two generations before it, the Cross lives up to the consistent five-star rating associated with the name.
This small SUV is classed by Euro NCAP as a small MPV due its likely intended use as a family vehicle, rather than as an off-roader.
Of course, safety is a priority for family cars, and the Yaris Cross ranks highly here. A score of 84% in the Child Occupant category will reassure parents that their little ones are travelling in some of the safest seats possible. The adults can travel in comfort, too, thanks to an adult occupant protection score of 85%.
Additional safety systems performed well, too, with a score of 81%, while vulnerable-road-user safety scored an equally impressive 78%.
Safest small MPV - previous winners
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest electric and executive car: Mercedes EQSThe Mercedes EQS is a double achiever - it's not only Euro NCAP's safest electric car but its the safest executive car, too.
- 3Safest small family car: Skoda FabiaThe latest Fabia packs cutting-edge safety tech into a reasonably-priced package
- 4Safest small MPV: Toyota Yaris Cross - currently readingThe Yaris Cross shares many things with the Yaris hatchback, including a five-star safety rating
- 5Safest small SUV: Nissan QashqaiThe Qashqai's fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers
- 6Safest large SUV: Skoda Enyaq iVSkoda's first electric car has truly set the benchmark for safety
- 7Safest large family cars 2019: Tesla Model 3 and BMW 3 SeriesThese two cars came in joint first when originally tested in 2019