Safest large SUV: Skoda Enyaq iV
Skoda's first electric car has truly set the benchmark for safety
The Skoda Enyaq iV was the first fully electric car to come from the Czech brand, and is the third alternatively fuelled car to be labelled as the safest large SUV in Euro NCAP’s yearly Best in Class rankings; the others were the electric Tesla Model X and the hydrogen-powered Hyundai Nexo.
Considering that large SUVs are particularly popular with families, Skoda has clearly taken this into account with the Enyaq iV scoring 89% in the Child Occupant safety category. The Enyaq iV also scored maximum points when tested for the protection of critical body areas of child passengers.
Adult safety also scored strongly at 94% while vulnerable-road-user safety was the lowest at 71%, but this is still a relatively strong score.
The Enyaq iV’s standard on-board safety equipment includes Active Emergency Braking (AEB) that can detect both cars and pedestrians, speed assistance, and lane-keeping assist. The effectiveness of these systems resulted in an 82% Safety Assist score.
Safest large SUV - previous winners
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest electric and executive car: Mercedes EQSThe Mercedes EQS is a double achiever - it's not only Euro NCAP's safest electric car but its the safest executive car, too.
- 3Safest small family car: Skoda FabiaThe latest Fabia packs cutting-edge safety tech into a reasonably-priced package
- 4Safest small MPV: Toyota Yaris CrossThe Yaris Cross shares many things with the Yaris hatchback, including a five-star safety rating
- 5Safest small SUV: Nissan QashqaiThe Qashqai's fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers
- 6Safest large SUV: Skoda Enyaq iV - currently readingSkoda's first electric car has truly set the benchmark for safety
- 7Safest large family cars 2019: Tesla Model 3 and BMW 3 SeriesThese two cars came in joint first when originally tested in 2019