Hyundai Kona Electric - Best electric cars
Electric version of Hyundai's family hatch is just as convincing as a Leaf
Hyundai is pushing forward on multiple fronts in the development of alternative fuel vehicles. The Ioniq hatchback comes in petrol-electric hybrid, plug-in and full EV guises, while Hyundai's fuel cell technology is pushing on with hydrogen power, too. But the latest addition to the range, the Kona Electric, stands out and promises to be a game changer for electric car tech.
For starters, the Kona Electric is offered with 39kWh or 64kWh battery packs, so there's a realistic range of 300 miles on the larger version, meaning even more people can take advantage of its electric drive. But more importantly prices start from just under £30,000, before the Government's Plug-in Car Grant, which makes it one of the most competitively priced EVs on sale.
Add in funky crossover looks, a practical five-door body and plenty of kit, and the Kona could be a game changer for the EV class, let alone Hyundai's own ambitions.
Best electric cars to buy 2019
- 1IntroductionThere are more electric cars than ever to choose from so we've picked the top 10 best electric cars you can buy in the UK now
- 21. Tesla Model 3We've waited a long time for the Tesla Model 3 and find it's in a class of its own
- 32. Kia e-NiroKia’s electric SUV offers a big electric range at an affordable price point
- 43. Jaguar I-PaceGame-changing SUV puts Jaguar at the front of the premium EV pack
- 54. Hyundai Kona Electric - currently readingElectric version of Hyundai's family hatch is just as convincing as a Leaf
- 65. Tesla Model S Who says electric cars can't be fast or luxurious? Tesla's Model S does both while incorporating groundbreaking design
- 76. Nissan Leaf The Nissan Leaf was the first mass-produced EV to go on sale in the UK, and the Mk2 has moved things even further forward
- 87. Mercedes EQCThe Mercedes EQC doesn’t have the premium electric SUV segment to itself, but it’s a worthy contender
- 98. Audi e-tron Audi has joined the luxury electric SUV fray with the e-tron, it’s flagship plug-in vehicle.
- 109. BMW i3 BMW's i3 electric car delivers premium quality, tiny running costs and surprising pace
- 1110. Renault ZOERenault has gone for electric cars in a big way and the stylish ZOE supermini suggests it could be on to something