Renault Trafic - best medium panel vans
The Renault Trafic delivers the goods with a big load area and efficient engines
The Trafic is a proper old-school, no-nonsense van, but even Renault is adding the latest tech to its workhorse. Like rivals, you can get long and short wheelbase versions, while the Trafic Passenger and Trafic Crew Van offer versatility, too. Renault also offers a range of ready-made conversions for businesses that need a specialist vehicle at short notice.
One great thing about the Trafic is its high-set driving position. With a commanding view of the road ahead, it offers one of the tallest seat heights of any van in the class. Add in the large rear-view mirrors and clever blind spot mirror set into the passenger side sun visor, and visibility isn't an issue in this van.
There are Business Edition and Sport variants of the Trafic, and you can even order one in lime green to really stand out from the crowd.
Under the bonnet, there are 1.6 dCi engines, although an update in 2019 sees a new range of 2.0-litre dCi diesels used instead. While the Kangoo and Master have spawned electric ZE variants, the Trafic ZE is still in development.
Best medium panel vans 2019
- 1IntroductionCompetition in the medium sized van sector is fierce. Here we rank the runners and riders...
- 21. Ford Transit CustomSitting below the iconic Ford Transit in Ford’s LCV line-up, the Transit Custom replicates many of that model’s strengths
- 32. Volkswagen TransporterThe VW Transporter is a classy customer that brings Volkswagen passenger car build quality to the LCV segment
- 43. Renault Trafic - currently readingThe Renault Trafic delivers the goods with a big load area and efficient engines
- 54. Vauxhall VivaroA new Vivaro is on the way using all-new tech from the PSA Group
- 65. Nissan NV300It shares lots with the Renault Trafic, although the NV300 has a five-year warranty, too
- 76. Citroen DispatchThe Dispatch offers car-like tech in a medium-sized van body
- 87. Fiat TalentoSpace, pace and efficiency are highlights of the Talento's, er, talents
- 98. Peugeot ExpertAlongside its Citroen counterpart, the Expert offers car tech in a van package
- 109. Mercedes VitoThe Vito trades on the prestige of the Mercedes badge, and is a comfortable van to drive
- 1110. Toyota ProaceToyota enters the mid-sized van class with its take on the Peugeot/Citroen van formula