Volkswagen T6 Transporter - best medium panel vans
The VW Transporter is a classy customer that brings Volkswagen passenger car build quality to the LCV segment
With the death of the new Beetle in 2018, the Volkswagen Transporter is the longest-lived family of vehicles produced by VW. OK, so the Transporter name was retroactively added to the earlier Type 2s, but you get the idea. As we're on the T6, you know that this is the sixth generation, which was introduced in 2016. It's getting a facelift in 2019, too, which is designed to give it even more car-like kit and quality inside.
While rivals offer greater load volume, the T6 is more of a premium van, which is why it's offered in higher specs such as the body-kitted Sport trim and the premium Executive shuttle bus variant. And of course there's the ubiquitous California camper version for those that enjoy the great outdoors.
While the T6 dabbled with petrol power briefly, you're left with diesel options for now, but VW's 2.0 TDI is a strong performer, while adding the DSG twin-clutch auto takes the strain out of driving.
If you're after something more eco-minded, then the e-Transporter on the way. With the same running gear as the VW e-Golf, it has a driving range that's good enough for a day's work doing urban deliveries.
Best medium panel vans 2019
- 1IntroductionCompetition in the medium sized van sector is fierce. Here we rank the runners and riders...
- 21. Ford Transit CustomSitting below the iconic Ford Transit in Ford’s LCV line-up, the Transit Custom replicates many of that model’s strengths
- 32. Volkswagen Transporter - currently readingThe VW Transporter is a classy customer that brings Volkswagen passenger car build quality to the LCV segment
- 43. Renault TraficThe Renault Trafic delivers the goods with a big load area and efficient engines
- 54. Vauxhall VivaroA new Vivaro is on the way using all-new tech from the PSA Group
- 65. Nissan NV300It shares lots with the Renault Trafic, although the NV300 has a five-year warranty, too
- 76. Citroen DispatchThe Dispatch offers car-like tech in a medium-sized van body
- 87. Fiat TalentoSpace, pace and efficiency are highlights of the Talento's, er, talents
- 98. Peugeot ExpertAlongside its Citroen counterpart, the Expert offers car tech in a van package
- 109. Mercedes VitoThe Vito trades on the prestige of the Mercedes badge, and is a comfortable van to drive
- 1110. Toyota ProaceToyota enters the mid-sized van class with its take on the Peugeot/Citroen van formula