Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun review
A replacement for the Ecorun, on sale since 2017, can’t come soon enough. This is not the performance level we expect from Falken
Another returnee from our 2020 test in this size and it seems little has changed with the Ecorun, which is a shame because Falken has fared better with newer designs.
In short, the Ecorun is a little closer to 2020 winner Goodyear, but is a step further away from the top performer this time around.
The deep-water prowess we saw last time is still there, with Falken finishing among the top performers, but yet again, it could not repeat the result in less severe conditions. It took nearly 2.5 metres longer to stop than the winning Continental and was doing more than 14mph when the PremiumContact had come to a halt.
There was a less concerning gap to the best of the rest, but across the wet tests only the Maxxis was behind. Rolling resistance was also still a concern, even ignoring the stellar Bridgestone.
"Customers appreciate this tyre’s good value. The quiet ride and good overall performance also contribute to its score of 4.6/5 from reviewers."
|Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun|
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best tyres you can buy
- 2Continental PremiumContact 7 Following our mini test earlier this year, we knew the Continental was good, and it backed that up with a win against wider opposition
- 3Bridgestone Turanza T005The best tyre, by some margin, for high-mileage drivers, but we can see why better wet grip is a performance target for its successor
- 4Toyo Proxes ComfortToyo has produced an impressively complete, well balanced package across the tests. The Proxes Comfort was pretty good to drive, too
- 5Pirelli Cinturato P7After a troubled beginning, it seems Pirelli is finally getting a handle on the Cinturato P7, and is making the tyre a match for premium rivals
- 6Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2There’s no repeat win this time around, but the EfficientGrip still delivers a balanced performance and impressive fuel economy
- 7Vredestein UltracAn excellent wet-weather performer, particularly in severe conditions, and effective in the dry. Fuel economy needs improvement, however
- 8Kumho Ecsta HS52A welcome return for Kumho with its latest Ecsta. It delivered on its performance target of good braking, but there are areas that need improving
- 9Michelin Primacy 4+For a tyre that is focused on performance when it is worn, the Primacy 4+ performed pretty well from new, with a good all-round balance
- 10Hankook Ventus Prime 4Hankook has become known for developing a tyre throughout its life, and it has a good base here, but it’s clear work still needs to be done
- 11Maxxis Premitra 5 HP5By no means a bad tyre, but rivals have moved the game on with their new designs and development since the Premitra’s debut
- 12Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun - currently readingA replacement for the Ecorun, on sale since 2017, can’t come soon enough. This is not the performance level we expect from Falken
- 13Tyre test 2023: results by categoryAn in-depth look at the scoring charts for our 2023 tyre test