Car of the Year: Skoda Citigo
Why it won...
Any car that scoops the Auto Express Car of the Year award is a truly outstanding machine – and the Skoda Citigo is no exception.
This revolutionary city car brings brilliant packaging, remarkable refinement and stunning value for money to a sector that is already filled to bursting with talented, low-cost rivals.
The Skoda also sets the standard from behind the wheel, thanks to its smooth and eager three-cylinder engine, secure handling and composed ride. It’s also very refined, ensuring it’s a relaxing choice for long motorway journeys. And the dinky dimensions, light controls and excellent visibility make it equally at home on crowded city streets.
GreenTech models benefit from fuel-saving stop-start technology, which pushes CO2 emissions below 100g/km, while all versions will return 50mpg without breaking a sweat.
There’s also the lure of value pricing and generous equipment levels – the Elegance gets sat-nav and heated seats, while brilliant City Safe autobraking can be added for just £180.
And don’t forget Skoda’s award-winning customer care, as seen in our Driver Power owner survey. The Skoda Citigo really does prove that bigger isn’t always better…
- 1IntroductionThe awards everyone wants to win are back as we name the finest models in 18 categories and crown our Car of the Year for 2012
- 2Best City Car
- 3Best SuperminiPeugeot has rediscovered its touch. The RCZ coupe has been winning awards and turning heads for the last couple of years
- 4Best Compact Family CarIt was always going to take something special to beat the Volkswagen Golf, and the new BMW 1 Series is exactly that.
- 5Best Family Car
- 6Best Five-Seat MPVThe C-MAX has emerged from the shadow of the big-selling Ford Focus, and it deserves to take centre stage.
- 7Best Seven-Seat MPVThe SEAT Alhambra has made the MPV sector its own and after scooping the top prize last year, nothing in the past 12 months has been able to dislodge it from the top of the class
- 8Best Estate CarThe Skoda Superb Estate has scored a hat-trick of wins in the Estate Car category at our annual awards, and it’s going to take something seriously talented to knock it off the top step of the podium next time around.
- 9Best Crossover
- 10Best Compact SUV
- 11Best Large SUVIf the Discovery carries on at this rate, it will deserve an outstanding achievement award at our next New Car Awards.
- 12Best Hot HatchA fast Ford is back on top of the hot hatch pile, and having met the people behind the new Focus ST, we’re not surprised.
- 13Best ConvertibleThe best convertibles need to be as good with their roofs up as they are with them folded, and the Golf Cabriolet is exactly that.
- 14Best CoupePeugeot is back with a bang this year – although it never really went away.
- 15Best Roadster
- 16Best Pick-upWhen the Amarok arrived last year, it redefined what buyers can expect from a hard-working and durable pick-up truck.
- 17Best Compact Executive
- 18Best Executive CarThe BMW 5 Series has returned to the top of the executive class, and it’s all down to one model.
- 19Best Luxury Car
- 20Performance Car of the Year
- 21Green Award
- 22Design Award
- 23Driver Power Award
- 24Safety Award
- 25Hall of Fame
- 26Car of the Year - currently reading