Toyota Proace - Best medium vans
Toyota enters the mid-sized van class with its take on the Peugeot/Citroen van formula
The Proace is the fourth and final van that's part of the Citroen Dispatch, Peugeot Expert and Vauxhall Vivaro platform sharing project. The major difference between the Toyota and the other vans is its sharper looks; nearly everything else is identical.
Power still comes from diesel engines - none of Toyota's hybrid technology has made it across to the van just yet - and there are Compact, Medium and Long panel van options, as well as a Crew Cab and People Carrier, which is a more basic option than the Proace Verso full MPV.
Like its sister models, the Proace isn't the roomiest mid-sized van, but it offers a more car-like driving experience than some rival vans. Options include blind spot detection, lane departure and a head-up display, while the interior is more upmarket than you might expect. On the move the Proace is a smooth drive, with the mid-spec diesel and above offering refinement and smoth pulling power.
Best medium panel vans 2019
- 1IntroductionCompetition in the medium sized van sector is fierce. Here we rank the runners and riders...
- 21. Ford Transit CustomSitting below the iconic Ford Transit in Ford’s LCV line-up, the Transit Custom replicates many of that model’s strengths
- 32. Volkswagen TransporterThe VW Transporter is a classy customer that brings Volkswagen passenger car build quality to the LCV segment
- 43. Renault TraficThe Renault Trafic delivers the goods with a big load area and efficient engines
- 54. Vauxhall VivaroA new Vivaro is on the way using all-new tech from the PSA Group
- 65. Nissan NV300It shares lots with the Renault Trafic, although the NV300 has a five-year warranty, too
- 76. Citroen DispatchThe Dispatch offers car-like tech in a medium-sized van body
- 87. Fiat TalentoSpace, pace and efficiency are highlights of the Talento's, er, talents
- 98. Peugeot ExpertAlongside its Citroen counterpart, the Expert offers car tech in a van package
- 109. Mercedes VitoThe Vito trades on the prestige of the Mercedes badge, and is a comfortable van to drive
- 1110. Toyota Proace - currently readingToyota enters the mid-sized van class with its take on the Peugeot/Citroen van formula