Fiat Talento - best medium panel vans
Space, pace and efficiency are highlights of the Talento's, er, talents
In the van spotting world, you'd be forgiven for confusing the Fiat Talento for the Renault Trafic, because like the Nissan NV300, it's essentially the same van. It's a successor to the Fiat Scudo, which it replaced in 2016. In fact, it's a bit of a swap with the Vauxhall Vivaro, as the old Scudo shared parts with the Dispatch/Expert, and the Vivaro with the Trafic, but now it's the other way around.
The Talento name comes from a short-wheelbase version of the Ducato that was sold in the 1980s, but the current van is light years ahead of that model. Like the Trafic, there are two wheelbases to choose from, while platform cab and crew van variants are offered, too.
Power comes from 1.6-litre diesels badged MultiJet and EcoJet, with the latter getting twin-turbos for improved performance, while power ranges from 95 to 145hp. Like the Trafic, there's a system called Traction+ that gives the Talento modest off-road ability in place of conventional four-wheel drive.
Best medium panel vans 2019
- 1IntroductionCompetition in the medium sized van sector is fierce. Here we rank the runners and riders...
- 21. Ford Transit CustomSitting below the iconic Ford Transit in Ford’s LCV line-up, the Transit Custom replicates many of that model’s strengths
- 32. Volkswagen TransporterThe VW Transporter is a classy customer that brings Volkswagen passenger car build quality to the LCV segment
- 43. Renault TraficThe Renault Trafic delivers the goods with a big load area and efficient engines
- 54. Vauxhall VivaroA new Vivaro is on the way using all-new tech from the PSA Group
- 65. Nissan NV300It shares lots with the Renault Trafic, although the NV300 has a five-year warranty, too
- 76. Citroen DispatchThe Dispatch offers car-like tech in a medium-sized van body
- 87. Fiat Talento - currently readingSpace, pace and efficiency are highlights of the Talento's, er, talents
- 98. Peugeot ExpertAlongside its Citroen counterpart, the Expert offers car tech in a van package
- 109. Mercedes VitoThe Vito trades on the prestige of the Mercedes badge, and is a comfortable van to drive
- 1110. Toyota ProaceToyota enters the mid-sized van class with its take on the Peugeot/Citroen van formula