Winner: Ford Mondeo, commended Honda Accord and Volkswagen Passat
The mighty Mondeo is back – and has gone straight to the top of the class. After years in the shadow of the ultra-refined Volkswagen Passat, Ford’s family favourite has been completely reinvented with a new look, bigger cabin and an even more polished driving experience.
Having been criticised for the bland styling of its predecessor, Ford has clearly worked hard on the new Mondeo. Striking without being controversial, the big Ford is packed with clever details that emphasise its solidity. The cabin carries on the good work, with plenty of metallic finishes and some of the best trim quality around. Ford claims to have benchmarked the newcomer against the likes of the Audi A4 and BMW 3-Series in an effort to generate a premium feel, and the approach has worked. Everything from the dashboard material to the noise of the indicators has been honed to create a refined, soothing driving experience.
Then there’s the sheer amount of room on board. Because it retains its trademark hatchback rear end, the Mondeo is considerably more flexible than the booted Passat. And every passenger gets increased space, plus seats that offer greater comfort than before. Refinement on the move is another strong point. No rival cruises as comfortably at high speeds, or deals with coarse surfaces so well. It even delivers a cosseting ride around town. And thanks to a body that’s now 130 per cent stiffer, it handles beautifully, too. Factor in the incredible 75-car range, and you can see why the big Ford is a worthy winner of this year’s Family Car crown.
- 2Best Family Car - currently readingWinner: Ford Mondeo, commended Honda Accord and Volkswagen Passat
- 3Best SuperminiWinner: Vauxhall Corsa, commended Renault Clio and Skoda Fabia
- 4Best Hot HatchWinner: Honda Civic Type R, commended MINI Cooper S and RenaultSport Clio
- 5Best MPVWinner: Citroen C4 Picasso, commended Ford S-MAX and Mazda 5
- 6Best CoupeWinner: Audi TT, commended BMW 3-Series Coupe and Jaguar XK
- 7Best 4x4 RecreationalWinner: Land Rover Freelander, commended Honda CR-V and Hyundai Santa Fe
- 8Best ConvertibleWinner: Mazda MX-5 RC, commended BMW 3-Series Convertible and Volkswagen Eos
- 9Best Estate CarWinner: Ford Mondeo estate, commended Honda Accord Tourer and Mercedes E-Class estate
- 10Best Compact Executive CarWinner: BMW 3-Series, commended Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class
- 11Best Compact Family CarWinner: Honda Civic, commended Ford Focus and Nissan Qashqai
- 12Best Luxury CarWinner: Mercedes S-Class, commended Audi A8, BMW 7-Series and Lexus LS640
- 13Best City CarWinner: Fiat Panda, commended Mitsubishi i, Smart ForTwo and Toyota Aygo
- 14Best 4x4 Off-roaderWinner: Land Rover Discovery, commended Mercedes M-Class and BMW X5
- 15Best Sporting CarWinner: Porsche Cayman, commended Audi R8 and Nissan 350Z
- 16Best Executive CarWinner: BMW 5-Series, commended Audi A6 and Mercedes E-Class
- 17Best Supermini MPVWinner: Nissan Note, commended Honda Jazz and Skoda Roomster
- 18Car Of The YearWith its third-generation Mondeo, Ford has come bursting back, injecting vitality and desirability into what had become a stagnant breed
- 19Driver Power AwardSkoda's Octavia scored seven top 10 positions in our Driver Power survey. A superb achievement
- 20Special WarrantyKia has sent shivers through the industry with its latest product warranty