20. Toyota Corolla: A car to be proud of
In a posh lounge, a group of men sits – slightly uncomfortably – on a sofa across from a group of glamorous women. One of the ladies picks a set of car keys out of a bowl, a guy stands up, kisses her hand and leads her upstairs with a jealous wife looking on. It’s clearly a swingers’ party. But the next woman to pick a set of keys is, well, less glamorous than her peers. From the expression on the men’s faces, it’s clear none of them wants to be picked this time. Still, when the woman holds up a set of keys, they all stand up. The punch line reads: “Corolla. A car to be proud of.”
The expert view
“Simply funny. When you first watch it, you can’t see the gag coming, and lots of joke ads wear thin – this one doesn’t, with great performances.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car
- 12Audi A4: Not my styleThe star here is a cocky yuppie. He is shown test-driving an A4, interspersed with shots of him playing squash and barking orders on a trading floor.
- 13VW Golf: Best left alone" It is a classic, iconic-looking car."
- 14Nissan Almera: Sweeney
- 15Toyota: A car to be proud of - currently reading"Simply funny."