Summer: Continental ContiSportContact 3
And how does a summer tyre compare?
A liability – that’s the only way to describe driving a summer tyre on snow. It’s scary, and the wider the tyre, the worse it is. On last year’s 205 rubber, climbing the snowy ramp off the lake in Arvidsjaur was no problem – on 225 tyres it was impossible without a long run-up.
We didn’t even complete one lap of Skanska as the slight slope to the start defeated the SportContact 3. The slow speed at which control was lost was also worrying.
Braking on snow should tell you all you need to know about the differences – when stopping from 25mph, the summer tyre was still doing 21mph when the best cold weather tyre had halted. And for traction and cornering, the summer tyre has a quarter of the grip of a winter one.
We also saw how a summer design struggles in the cold and wet, needing seven metres more to stop than the top cold weather tyre and failing to match it for handling. Yet the rounder profile has an advantage when aquaplaning and in the dry; it braked to a stop about a car’s length shorter than its next-best rival.
|Snow handling||No lap||10|
In this review
- 1IntroductionChanging tyres could be the key to staying on the move this winter. Our comprehensive guide explains why you should swap - and puts nine top brands to the test
- 2Summer: Continental ContiSportContact 3 - currently readingAnd how does a summer tyre compare?
- 3Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 PStrong results across all conditions ensured victory for firm’s winter tyre
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2Strong performance on snow helped Winter tyre come second
- 5Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie IIItalian winter rubber really shines when the roads get wet
- 6Hankook Optimo 4SBest all-season choice is a real jack-of-all trades
- 7Vredestein Quatrac 3Top all-season snow handler also impresses on dry roads
- 8Nankang Snow SV-2Budget Winter option is not up to scratch in the wet
- 9Kumho Solus VierAll-season offering falls short in most conditions
- 10Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4DPre-production Dunlop Winter tyre was consistent in all tests