Nokian Z G2
Whisper-quiet rubber gave top names a run for their money
Best known for its winter tyres, Nokian is fast becoming a top choice for summer use as well, after finishing close behind premium rivals Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli and former winner Vredestein.
Its biggest problem was on the dry handling circuit, where it felt a bit like a winter pattern and lacked the precision of the best. It was safe, though, and only around a second slower than the fastest.
It managed fifth in dry braking, half a metre behind the winning Continental. It showed similar form in the wet, although it preferred the shallower water of the tracks and braking strips to the 7mm used in aquaplaning.
Traction was good on the handling circuit, but lateral grip let it down, so it finished around 1.5 seconds off the winning pace.
Fifth spot here was matched on the wet circle and curved aquaplaning, although it was further off the pace. Drivers wanting a quiet tyre should consider the G2, plus it’s efficient; the tyre came seventh, but at the back of a closely matched pack.
Brand focuses on winter driving, but this result proves it’s a year-round solution.
In this review
- 1IntroductionThe Auto Express annual tyre test is back! We put 10 leading brands to the test to find Britain’s top tyre
- 2Apollo Aspire 4New cut-price brand promises to shake up the tyre market
- 3Michelin Pilot Sport 3Firm has widened focus on fuel economy to produce a top buy
- 4Hankook Ventus S1 evoKoreans’ focus on low rolling resistance affects performance
- 5Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2Podium finishes across board swept newcomer to victory
- 6Dunlop Sport Maxx TTPoor efficiency is a thorn in the side of this midfield performer
- 7Continental ContiSportContact 3Our former champ is left half way down the field this time
- 8Bridgestone Potenza S001Disappointing showing on home turf for top maker
- 9Nokian Z G2 - currently readingWhisper-quiet rubber gave top names a run for their money
- 10Pirelli P ZeroMotorsport-inspired pattern is still the best wet weather tyre
- 11Vredestein Ultrac CentoSole directional tread on test put in a strong performance