Hankook Kinergy 4S2
You could argue that this new Kinergy 4S is what a UK all-season tyre should be.
You could argue that this new Kinergy 4S is what a UK all-season tyre should be. While others excel on snow (a surface present only a few days a year) and ignore dry performance, this Hankook is the opposite. It was happiest in the dry, where it was almost quickest on the handling track, and third in braking.
Snow grip hasn’t been ignored, but there are more effective options. It was sixth overall on snow, close in the handling test but a step behind in braking. It was a similar distance off the pace in the wet, with braking again some way from the best. Behind the wheel it was hard to get out of the corners, and plenty of lock was required. It was good at the pumps, but not enough to overcome those braking results.
We say: Frugal, but braking performance in poor conditions needs improving
Blackcircles.com says: Although this tyre features label scores that could be improved upon, customers who order it have been very happy with the winter performance levels.
|Hankook Kinergy 4S2|
In this review
- 1IntroductionShould you fit all-season tyres for 12 months instead of switching from summer to winter tyres? Our test has the answer
- 21. Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2The Gen-2 Vector 4Seasons has been with us since 2015, when it took the runner-up spot in our first all-season test
- 32. Continental AllSeasonContactThe German producer shook up the all-season market on its debut last year with a tyre it said it would never produce, preferring a ‘winter for winter and summer for summer’ policy.
- 43. Michelin CrossClimate+The scores for this and the Continental can’t be much closer, but they got them quite differently.
- 54. Nokian Weatherproof Our top four are closely matched, but snowy and wet roads are where the Nokian performs best.
- 65. Bridgestone Weather Control A005Another product of Bridgestone’s extensive driver-consultation process, the A005 has a modern look to its results.
- 76. Falken Euroall Season AS210Falken has joined Hankook in abandoning an asymmetric tread for its all-season tyre, joining most rivals with a directional pattern.
- 87. Hankook Kinergy 4S2 - currently readingYou could argue that this new Kinergy 4S is what a UK all-season tyre should be.
- 98. Cooper Discoverer All SeasonAmerican producer Cooper will have hoped for more from the brand-new Discoverer All Season, but it can take some solace from being closer to the pace than the Nankang.
- 109. Nankang All-Season AW-6If you’re worried about driving in snow, this Nankang should put your mind at rest, particularly if you are attracted by that super-low price.
- 11Summer tyre: Continental ContiPremiumContact 5Many drivers will look at that scary snow performance when choosing whether to change tyres for the seasons or go for a more winter-orientated design.
- 12Winter tyre: Continental WinterContact TS 860Despite reducing the emphasis on snow performance in our scoring system, this result suggests a winter tyre is arguably a better option than an all-season alternative
- 13Verdict & Results by categoryTables show which all-season tyres performed well where, and how they compare