Hankook Kinergy 4S2 tyre review - All-Season Tyre Test 2020
3rd place in our 2020 All-Season Tyre Test goes to the Hankook Kinergy 4S2
- Score: 99.6%
- Rating: 3rd
- Price: £87.50
While the Michelin is unashamedly aimed at performance in the wet and dry, Hankook has set similar, if not quite as extreme, targets for the Kinergy 4S2.
As we saw last year in 16-inch form, this Hankook is weakest when there’s snow on the ground. It only managed to outperform the struggling Vredestein in our northern Finland tests. It was close behind the Cooper, but the dry-focused Michelin also had the better of it. Initial front grip was good around the handling track, but it dropped away as the lock increased.
The Kinergy was much more effective in the wet and at warmer temperatures, and topped our wet tests by a narrow margin. It aced the deep-water tests with two victories and managed to maintain that form at shallower depths – while we were waiting for the front to hook up on snow, it was sharp and lively in the wet.
It also had a stable rear, despite a strong front end. It was good on the brakes, too, triggering the ABS less than many rivals. In dry braking it was third, but a poor rolling-resistance result meant it just missed the runner-up spot.
A tyre well suited to UK conditions with strong performance in the wet, although snow grip and fuel economy need attention.
Although some sizes come with label scores that could be improved, customers have been very happy with the tyre – scoring it 4.7 out of five and commending its winter performance.
Hankook Kinergy 4S2
In this review
- 1IntroductionThe UK’s variable weather makes it a prime market for all-season tyres, but which set is best? We test them back-to-back.
- 2Vredestein Quatrac Pro - 6thThe Vredestein Quatrac Pro takes sixth place in our 2020 all-season tyre test
- 3Cooper Discoverer All Season - 5thThe Cooper Discoverer All Season tyre places 5th in our 2020 all-season tyre test
- 4Michelin CrossClimate+ - 4thThe Michelin CrossClimate+ was the 4th placed tyre in the 2020 All-Season Tyre Test 2020
- 5Hankook Kinergy 4S2 - 3rd - currently reading3rd place in our 2020 All-Season Tyre Test goes to the Hankook Kinergy 4S2
- 6Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 - 2ndThe Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 comes second in the 2020 All-Season Tyre Test
- 7Continental AllSeasonContact - 1stThe Continental All Season Contact is the winner of our 2020 All-Season Tyre Test
- 8Verdict & results by categoryTables show which all-season tyres performed well where, and how they compare