All-season tyre test 2019: Results by category
Tables show which all-season tyres performed well where, and how they compare
Results by category
The tyres were assessed in 11 tests and these results were used, along with the prices, to calculate an overall rating. In each test, the best tyre is rated at 100 per cent, and the others are scored relative to the winner to accurately reflect individual performances. We take these results into account in the final ranking.
Nankang impressed in the snow but even a keen price couldn’t overcome the deficit in the wet and dry. There’s little to choose between the next three: Cooper, Falken and Hankook need to improve their offerings, but this is a decent start. We’d hoped for more from Bridgestone, but it has work to do to match the other premium makers. The Weatherproof has bounced back after a disappointing 2018 result to challenge the best, while Michelin is the leader in the dry, and Continental came close to repeating last year’s victory. That leaves the amazing Vector 4Seasons, which returns to the winner’s circle after a three-year absence.
Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2
As ever it takes a sound all-round performance to win a tyre test and Goodyear delivered that. Fine results in the wet and on snow delivered the victory.
|Sum||Continental CPC 5 95.8||95.80%|
|Win||Continental TS 860 94.0||94.00%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||91.00%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||100.60%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||98.10%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||101.70%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||97.10%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||101.00%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||103.70%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||84.50%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||99.50%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||98.50%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||44.40%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||95.20%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||34.90%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||96.70%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||63.80%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||101.30%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||91.50%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||92.50%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||85.70%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||103.40%|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||£78.12|
|Win||Continental TS 860||£85.70|
|Sum||Continental CPC 5||95.30%|
|Win||Continental TS 860||100.40%|
In this review
- 1IntroductionShould you fit all-season tyres for 12 months instead of switching from summer to winter tyres? Our test has the answer
- 21. Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2The Gen-2 Vector 4Seasons has been with us since 2015, when it took the runner-up spot in our first all-season test
- 32. Continental AllSeasonContactThe German producer shook up the all-season market on its debut last year with a tyre it said it would never produce, preferring a ‘winter for winter and summer for summer’ policy.
- 43. Michelin CrossClimate+The scores for this and the Continental can’t be much closer, but they got them quite differently.
- 54. Nokian Weatherproof Our top four are closely matched, but snowy and wet roads are where the Nokian performs best.
- 65. Bridgestone Weather Control A005Another product of Bridgestone’s extensive driver-consultation process, the A005 has a modern look to its results.
- 76. Falken Euroall Season AS210Falken has joined Hankook in abandoning an asymmetric tread for its all-season tyre, joining most rivals with a directional pattern.
- 87. Hankook Kinergy 4S2You could argue that this new Kinergy 4S is what a UK all-season tyre should be.
- 98. Cooper Discoverer All SeasonAmerican producer Cooper will have hoped for more from the brand-new Discoverer All Season, but it can take some solace from being closer to the pace than the Nankang.
- 109. Nankang All-Season AW-6If you’re worried about driving in snow, this Nankang should put your mind at rest, particularly if you are attracted by that super-low price.
- 11Summer tyre: Continental ContiPremiumContact 5Many drivers will look at that scary snow performance when choosing whether to change tyres for the seasons or go for a more winter-orientated design.
- 12Winter tyre: Continental WinterContact TS 860Despite reducing the emphasis on snow performance in our scoring system, this result suggests a winter tyre is arguably a better option than an all-season alternative
- 13Verdict & Results by category - currently readingTables show which all-season tyres performed well where, and how they compare