Safety Award: Prince Michael of Kent
Why he won...
His Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent is more used to giving awards than receiving them. The Prince Michael International Road Safety Awards recognise achievements and innovations that improve standards of road safety around the world, and have been running since 1987.
But the Prince’s road safety work goes much further than the Awards themselves – he works tirelessly to promote road safety, to raise awareness and to improve standards, giving up his own time to travel the world, all in the name of saving lives.
Prince Michael has also been instrumental in the launch of the global Decade of Action for Road Safety. Instead of attending the London launch, the Prince went to the launch event in Kenya – a country with a quarter of the number of cars on the roads compared to the UK, but double the casualty rate.
It’s this understanding of where the biggest problems are, and the huge desire to help improve things, that makes Prince Michael’s own efforts worthy of recognition.
- 1IntroductionThe awards everyone wants to win are back as we name the finest models in 18 categories and crown our Car of the Year for 2012
- 2Best City Car
- 3Best SuperminiPeugeot has rediscovered its touch. The RCZ coupe has been winning awards and turning heads for the last couple of years
- 4Best Compact Family CarIt was always going to take something special to beat the Volkswagen Golf, and the new BMW 1 Series is exactly that.
- 5Best Family Car
- 6Best Five-Seat MPVThe C-MAX has emerged from the shadow of the big-selling Ford Focus, and it deserves to take centre stage.
- 7Best Seven-Seat MPVThe SEAT Alhambra has made the MPV sector its own and after scooping the top prize last year, nothing in the past 12 months has been able to dislodge it from the top of the class
- 8Best Estate CarThe Skoda Superb Estate has scored a hat-trick of wins in the Estate Car category at our annual awards, and it’s going to take something seriously talented to knock it off the top step of the podium next time around.
- 9Best Crossover
- 10Best Compact SUV