BMW 3 Series
The 3 Series continues its undisputed reign as king of the compact executive class
Five years – that’s how long the BMW 3 Series has dominated the compact executive class for.
The current model picked up last year where the outgoing car left off, and nothing has come along in this demanding class in the last 12 months to upset the status quo.
Convincing company car drivers is the key to success here, and the 3 Series presents a cast-iron argument for victory. With its low CO2 emissions, solid gold corporate car park kudos and engaging driving dynamics, it’s still the undisputed king of the compact executives.
It’s competitively priced for a start, and all models are well equipped, with features such as Bluetooth and DAB radio included as standard.
Factor in a desirable badge, sleek exterior design and a high-quality cabin, and you have all the makings of a dominant win. And despite its premium image and sporty driving experience, the 3 Series costs peanuts to run.
This is mainly thanks to the company’s highly effective EfficientDynamics technology. The bread-and-butter 320d emits just 109g/km of CO2, and even the potent 181bhp version only produces 119g/km. When the amount of company car tax you pay is calculated on emissions, these are compelling numbers.
So the BMW is a clear winner, yet we haven’t mentioned the sublime handling yet. It’s blessed with an engaging and rewarding rear-wheel-drive chassis, so you can derive just as much enjoyment from your daily commute as you can from the knowledge that you won’t be paying a small fortune for the privilege.
Our choice: 320d EfficientDynamics Business (£29,885) Emitting just 109g/km, the 320d ED is a compelling proposition for company drivers, yet it’s fun and desirable, too.
Audi A5 Sportback
BMW 3 Series GT
The 3 Series GT is a bigger and more family-friendly version of the brilliant saloon. It’s ideal if you need greater practicality or fancy something different to the traditional saloon. It’s efficient and good to drive, too.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover
- 11Best Compact SUVThe Range Rover Evoque is one of the most striking cars on the road – but it's also more than just a pretty face
- 12Best Large SUVThe talented Santa Fe is one of the best models Hyundai has ever produced
- 13Best Hot HatchThe Ford Fiesta ST is in a class of its own – and better value for money than its key rivals
- 14Best CoupeThe brilliant Porsche Cayman pips its big brother - the 911 – and three-time winner the Peugeot RCZ to the Best Coupe prize
- 15Best RoadsterThe new Porsche Boxster is so good it makes you question why anyone would every buy a 911
- 16Best ConvertibleWith funky looks, premium quality and low running costs – frivolity has never been so sensible. Or so desirable
- 17Best Pick-upWith decent handling, comfort levels and build quality, the VW Amarok is a cut above its rivals
- 18Best Compact Executive Car - currently readingThe 3 Series continues its undisputed reign as king of the compact executive class
- 19Best Executive CarBMW 5 Series fends off some impressive German rivals to take the executive class crown
- 20Best Luxury CarAs a 4x4, an SUV and a luxury car, the Range Rover is jack of all trades. But it's a master of all trades, too
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe entertaining GT 86 outguns a host of big-name sports cars to take Performance Car of the Year
- 22Design Award The latest incarnation of the iconic Range Rover is voted by Auto Express readers as the best designed car of 2013
- 23Green AwardThe Vauxhall Ampera's innovative range-extending powertrain wins it our Green Award
- 24Van of the YearOur Van of the Year is hi-tech, practical and the first van in its class to get a five-star crash test rating
- 25Safety AwardThe Volvo V40 is probably the safest car ever made, and a worthy winner of our Safety Award
- 26Driver Power AwardThe Japanese premium brand has reclaimed its Driver Power top spot for the first time in four years
- 27Hall of FameBMW board member inducted into the Auto Express Hall of Fame