BMW 5 Series 520d Efficient Dynamics
The 520d is a great all-rounder - mixing comfort, economy and performance in a practical package
Like the new 3 Series, the current 5 Series benefits from a 100kg weight reduction over its predecessor. This aids driving dynamics, important in all BMW saloons, as well as efficiency.
The 520d makes up a huge chunk of 5 Series sales and it’s not hard to see why. The 187bhp 2.0-litre turbocharged diesel gives the 520d a warm-hatch rivalling 7.5 second 0-62mph time but BMW claims in Efficient Dynamics spec it’ll will reach 72.4mpg.
Of course, there are much more powerful engines available with the 5 Series - topping out in the form of the 616bhp M5 Competition, but the 520d is a competent performer, providing the driving experience you’d expect of a BMW and the efficiency you may not.
Best diesel cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionIf you need to strike a balance between performance and fuel economy, the best diesel cars of 2021 will be just the job.
- 2Renault Megane dCi 115The Megane is a front-runner in the compact hatchback class, especially in diesel guise
- 3Vauxhall Insignia GSThe Vauxhall Insignia is surprisingly good to drive, practical and with a great range of punchy diesel engines
- 4BMW 320dBMW returned to form with the latest 3 Series by shedding weight, improving driving dynamics and adding an impressive array of technology
- 5Mercedes S 350 dMassive road presence and a cosseting interior mean the Mercedes S-Class is our top luxury car, and it's at its best in diesel guise
- 6Volvo XC90 D5 MomentumThe XC90 comes with a variety of powertrains, but the diesel is still the best all-rounder
- 7Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDIThe Skoda Karoq had big shoes to fill in the shape of the popular Yeti, but its appeal is amplified by sensible diesel engines
- 8Honda Civic i-DTECSmooth and refined i-DTEC diesel adds another string to hatchback's bow
- 9Range Rover SDV6 VogueThe Range Rover mixes incredible refinement with go anywhere off-road capability, especially with the V6 diesel
- 10BMW 520d - currently readingThe 520d is a great all-rounder - mixing comfort, economy and performance in a practical package
- 11Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDiThe Peugeot 3008’s bold looks, funky interior and efficient diesel engines make it hugely appealing