Citroen C3 Aircross - best crossovers and small SUVs
The Citroen C3 Aircross proves not all SUVs and 4x4s need to be dull
It’s no secret that most SUVs in the UK aren’t driven off-road. One big reason for this is that buyers choose them for how well their SUV qualities work in the normal family car role.
The Citroen C3 Aircross is one of the cheapest SUVs on sale and not one of the better options for serious off-road driving but it is a brilliantly practical and comfortable family car.
The C3 Aircross is a funky-looking thing with massive scope for personalisation with different coloured-body panels. The rubber wheel arches and big bumpers help cope with mud and rocks should you wish to take the path less-trodden.
Despite the absence of four-wheel drive, the C3 Aircross can be had with Grip Control - essentially an advanced stability programme which cuts in to aid traction depending on the surface you’re traversing. The hill descent setting will come in handy for tackling steep slopes.
The C3 Aircross is available with a PureTech petrol with either 81, 109 or 129bhp or a 1.6-litre BlueHDi diesel with 98bhp or 118bhp. The diesel feels punchy enough with bottom-end torque and relative smoothness.
Top 10 best crossovers and small SUVs to buy now
- 1IntroductionThere's a huge range of crossovers and small SUVs on the market today. These are our top ten picks
- 21. Skoda KaroqThe Karoq continues its reign at the top of the crossover class
- 32. Peugeot 3008Thanks to Grip Control Peugeot’s two-wheel drive 3008 is a capable off-roader
- 43. Citroen C3 Aircross - currently readingThe Citroen C3 Aircross proves not all SUVs and 4x4s need to be dull
- 54. Range Rover EvoqueThe Mk2 Range Rover Evoque makes use of tech and design from the Velar
- 65. Dacia DusterThe updated Dacia Duster retains its bargain-basement price, but can still hold its own against significantly more expensive SUVs
- 76. Volkswagen T-CrossVolkswagen’s T-Cross might not be available with four-wheel drive, but that doesn’t mean you should discount it
- 87. Toyota RAV4The Toyota RAV4 arguably kicked off the family SUV craze in the early 1990’s and the latest generation is just as good
- 98. Audi Q3The latest Audi Q3 has bags of style, impressive tech and makes for a great all-round SUV.
- 109. Lexus UXThe Lexus UX is a genuine alternative to the German SUV mainstream thanks to bold looks, refinement, efficiency and affordability.