SEAT Arona - best crossovers and small SUVs
The SEAT Arona combines practicality with respectable driving dynamics to make it a great all-rounder
So the SEAT Arona isn’t technically a 4x4, but it’s certainly an SUV and it’s one of the better ones too.
Rather than off-road capability, the Arona focuses on driving engagement and while not many SUVs are particularly fun to drive, the Arona makes a decent attempt to make you smile behind the wheel.
Two petrol offerings come in the shape of a 1.0-litre TSI three-cylinder with 94bhp or 114bhp and there’s a diesel 1.6-litre unit also with 94bhp or 114bhp. There’s a 1.5-litre TSI with 148bhp, but the 1.0-litre three-cylinder models are more fuel efficient, cost less to buy and, with the non-FR suspension, are more comfortable.
The interior doesn’t boast the most exciting design but there’s plenty of equipment and the infotainment system is class-leading with even the most basic Arona getting a 5-inch touchscreen. In terms of space, the Arona is pretty average, with 823-litre boot when the rear seats are lowered. Headroom is great for rear passengers but they may short of legroom if the front passengers are tall.
Top 10 best crossovers and small SUVs to buy now
- 1IntroductionThere's a huge range of crossovers and small SUVs on the market today. These are our top ten picks
- 21. Skoda KaroqThe Karoq continues its reign at the top of the crossover class
- 32. Peugeot 3008Thanks to Grip Control Peugeot’s two-wheel drive 3008 is a capable off-roader
- 43. Citroen C3 AircrossThe Citroen C3 Aircross proves not all SUVs and 4x4s need to be dull
- 54. Range Rover EvoqueThe Mk2 Range Rover Evoque makes use of tech and design from the Velar
- 65. Dacia DusterThe updated Dacia Duster retains its bargain-basement price, but can still hold its own against significantly more expensive SUVs
- 76. Volkswagen T-CrossVolkswagen’s T-Cross might not be available with four-wheel drive, but that doesn’t mean you should discount it
- 87. Toyota RAV4The Toyota RAV4 arguably kicked off the family SUV craze in the early 1990’s and the latest generation is just as good
- 98. Audi Q3The latest Audi Q3 has bags of style, impressive tech and makes for a great all-round SUV.
- 109. Lexus UXThe Lexus UX is a genuine alternative to the German SUV mainstream thanks to bold looks, refinement, efficiency and affordability.