Toyota RAV4 - best crossovers and small SUVs
The Toyota RAV4 arguably kicked off the family SUV craze in the early 1990’s and the latest generation is just as good
First off, the engine. UK buyers will only be able to get a petrol-electric hybrid, although traditional combustion-engined layouts are available in other markets.
This is no bad thing though, the 2.5-litre 4-cylinder hybrid is offered up in two layouts - front-wheel drive with 215bhp or four-wheel drive with 219bhp. We’d pick the four-wheel drive option, which at a £2,240 premium, gets you a second electric motor driving the rear wheels.
The RAV4’s ride has clearly been developed for comfort over sportiness, but unfortunately the CVT gearbox makes the engine rev up too highly and can sound quite aggressive - which can upset the otherwise refined driving experience.
There’s a decent amount of space with the RAV4’s 580-litre boot, but it just loses out to the Volkswagen Tiguan’s 615-litre boot. With the seats folded flat you get 1,690 litres.
The bold styling means you won’t lose your RAV4 among the growing army of forgettable-looking SUVs. The interior finish is more functional than luxurious, but it feels solid and well-built. While there’s plenty of equipment on offer, the infotainment isn’t the best to use and there’s no Android Auto or Apple CarPlay integration.
Top 10 best crossovers and small SUVs to buy now
- 1IntroductionThere's a huge range of crossovers and small SUVs on the market today. These are our top ten picks
- 21. Skoda KaroqThe Karoq continues its reign at the top of the crossover class
- 32. Peugeot 3008Thanks to Grip Control Peugeot’s two-wheel drive 3008 is a capable off-roader
- 43. Citroen C3 AircrossThe Citroen C3 Aircross proves not all SUVs and 4x4s need to be dull
- 54. Range Rover EvoqueThe Mk2 Range Rover Evoque makes use of tech and design from the Velar
- 65. Dacia DusterThe updated Dacia Duster retains its bargain-basement price, but can still hold its own against significantly more expensive SUVs
- 76. Volkswagen T-CrossVolkswagen’s T-Cross might not be available with four-wheel drive, but that doesn’t mean you should discount it
- 87. Toyota RAV4 - currently readingThe Toyota RAV4 arguably kicked off the family SUV craze in the early 1990’s and the latest generation is just as good
- 98. Audi Q3The latest Audi Q3 has bags of style, impressive tech and makes for a great all-round SUV.
- 109. Lexus UXThe Lexus UX is a genuine alternative to the German SUV mainstream thanks to bold looks, refinement, efficiency and affordability.