Skoda Karoq - best crossovers and small SUVs
The Karoq continues its reign at the top of the crossover class
The Yeti may have died out, but the Skoda Karoq has plenty going for it to make Skoda's first crossover a distant memory. And that's why it's our favourite crossover. However, while the Yeti name has gone, that car's practicality and user-friendliness lives on in the Karoq.
There's plenty of space inside for passengers and luggage, including sliding VarioFlex rear seats that can favour one over the other. But where the Karoq really stands out from its predecessor is the quality of the interior. There are also lots of of high-grade materials and soft-touch plastics, while top-spec cars can rival the VW Tiguan for classy appeal.
The Karoq is based on the same platform as the Tiguan, but it wears a look that's inspired by Skoda's larger Kodiaq. That means you get a large grille and slender lights for an imposing face, while plenty of straight edges make up the rest of this crossover's design.
Engines are plucked from the VW Group range, with turbocharged 1.0 and 1.5 TSI petrol and 1.6 and 2.0 TDI diesel engines, while four-wheel drive is offered on top-spec cars. We'd only recommend 4WD if you live in the wilds, because the greater efficiency and lower cost of the front-wheel drive versions mean these are the ones to go for.
On the road, the Karoq is a great crossover to drive, with handling that is surprisingly capable for a high-riding crossover. There's decent comfort, too, with a refined ride and quiet cabin when cruising.
Top 10 best crossovers and small SUVs to buy now
- 1IntroductionThere's a huge range of crossovers and small SUVs on the market today. These are our top ten picks
- 21. Skoda Karoq - currently readingThe Karoq continues its reign at the top of the crossover class
- 32. Peugeot 3008Thanks to Grip Control Peugeot’s two-wheel drive 3008 is a capable off-roader
- 43. Citroen C3 AircrossThe Citroen C3 Aircross proves not all SUVs and 4x4s need to be dull
- 54. Range Rover EvoqueThe Mk2 Range Rover Evoque makes use of tech and design from the Velar
- 65. Dacia DusterThe updated Dacia Duster retains its bargain-basement price, but can still hold its own against significantly more expensive SUVs
- 76. Volkswagen T-CrossVolkswagen’s T-Cross might not be available with four-wheel drive, but that doesn’t mean you should discount it
- 87. Toyota RAV4The Toyota RAV4 arguably kicked off the family SUV craze in the early 1990’s and the latest generation is just as good
- 98. Audi Q3The latest Audi Q3 has bags of style, impressive tech and makes for a great all-round SUV.
- 109. Lexus UXThe Lexus UX is a genuine alternative to the German SUV mainstream thanks to bold looks, refinement, efficiency and affordability.