Volkswagen T-Cross - best crossovers and small SUVs
Volkswagen’s T-Cross might not be available with four-wheel drive, but that doesn’t mean you should discount it
The VW T-Cross is based on the Polo hatchback and makes use of the same engines and transmissions. While the driving dynamics are worsened by the higher centre of gravity, there’s plenty of grip and decent balance - although the steering is fairly lifeless. The ride is comfortable too, as long as you avoid the 18-inch rims.
There are only two engines available, a 95bhp 1.0-litre TSI petrol and a 115bhp 1.6-litre TDI diesel. The petrol is only offered with a five-speed manual gearbox where the diesel comes with either a six-speed manual or seven-speed dual-clutch automatic.
Even with the lesser-powered petrol version, the T-Cross has adequate acceleration. The diesel paired with the six-speed manual would be our choice however as it conjures up more power throughout the rev range.
Inside, the T-Cross feels well-made and offers typical Volkswagen functionality along with class-leading technology.
Top 10 best crossovers and small SUVs to buy now
- 1IntroductionThere's a huge range of crossovers and small SUVs on the market today. These are our top ten picks
- 21. Skoda KaroqThe Karoq continues its reign at the top of the crossover class
- 32. Peugeot 3008Thanks to Grip Control Peugeot’s two-wheel drive 3008 is a capable off-roader
- 43. Citroen C3 AircrossThe Citroen C3 Aircross proves not all SUVs and 4x4s need to be dull
- 54. Range Rover EvoqueThe Mk2 Range Rover Evoque makes use of tech and design from the Velar
- 65. Dacia DusterThe updated Dacia Duster retains its bargain-basement price, but can still hold its own against significantly more expensive SUVs
- 76. Volkswagen T-Cross - currently readingVolkswagen’s T-Cross might not be available with four-wheel drive, but that doesn’t mean you should discount it
- 87. Toyota RAV4The Toyota RAV4 arguably kicked off the family SUV craze in the early 1990’s and the latest generation is just as good
- 98. Audi Q3The latest Audi Q3 has bags of style, impressive tech and makes for a great all-round SUV.
- 109. Lexus UXThe Lexus UX is a genuine alternative to the German SUV mainstream thanks to bold looks, refinement, efficiency and affordability.