Lexus UX- best crossovers and small SUVs
The Lexus UX is a genuine alternative to the German SUV mainstream thanks to bold looks, refinement, efficiency and affordability.
While the UX has SUV pretentions with its slightly raised ride height and wheel arch mouldings, it feels more like a hatchback than an SUV - in this respect it’s more like the BMW X2.
We’ve previously tried the 2.0-litre four cylinder petrol with two electric motors, which creates 181bhp, and it has plenty of punch. It’s fitted to a CVT transmission, which is usually a downside, but it delivers smooth and relatively rapid acceleration. It’s fairly efficient too.
The UX is one of the market’s more sporty SUVs, yet it can settle down and become a comfortable long-distance cruiser when needed. Granted, you wouldn’t want to spend an extended period of time in the back seats as it’s quite cramped. Luggage space isn’t a plus-point of the UX, either, and it falls short of its rivals.
However, while it’s not the most spacious, if you intend on spending most of your time behind the wheel of an SUV, the Lexus UX is a great proposition.
Top 10 best crossovers and small SUVs to buy now
- 1IntroductionThere's a huge range of crossovers and small SUVs on the market today. These are our top ten picks
- 21. Skoda KaroqThe Karoq continues its reign at the top of the crossover class
- 32. Peugeot 3008Thanks to Grip Control Peugeot’s two-wheel drive 3008 is a capable off-roader
- 43. Citroen C3 AircrossThe Citroen C3 Aircross proves not all SUVs and 4x4s need to be dull
- 54. Range Rover EvoqueThe Mk2 Range Rover Evoque makes use of tech and design from the Velar
- 65. Dacia DusterThe updated Dacia Duster retains its bargain-basement price, but can still hold its own against significantly more expensive SUVs
- 76. Volkswagen T-CrossVolkswagen’s T-Cross might not be available with four-wheel drive, but that doesn’t mean you should discount it
- 87. Toyota RAV4The Toyota RAV4 arguably kicked off the family SUV craze in the early 1990’s and the latest generation is just as good
- 98. Audi Q3The latest Audi Q3 has bags of style, impressive tech and makes for a great all-round SUV.
- 109. Lexus UX - currently readingThe Lexus UX is a genuine alternative to the German SUV mainstream thanks to bold looks, refinement, efficiency and affordability.
- 1110. SEAT AronaThe SEAT Arona combines practicality with respectable driving dynamics to make it a great all-rounder