Safest large MPV: Ford Galaxy
Safety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
The Galaxy is the bigger, squarer and more practical brother of the sporty S-Max, and retains that car's deceptively good handling. The Galaxy now has another feather in its cap, though, with a full five-star Euro NCAP rating. This means the Galaxy is a very safe car indeed and performed strongly across all categories in the Euro NCAP tests.
The Galaxy was recently facelifted to include an improved interior and Ford's family 'face'. The additions to the interior consist of better quality materials and an all-new eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system.
The Galaxy's vast body accommodates 7 seats, each large enough for a full-sized adult. The seats are very flexible as well, with the rearmost two folding electrically into the floor and the second row all sliding, reclining and tilting to allow access to the rear seats. With the seats folded down the Galaxy does an excellent impression of a Transit van.
The size is impossible to mask on the road but the steering and suspension both do a good job of making the Galaxy fun to drive. This hasn't come at the expense of comfort though and the Galaxy remains a great choice for big, practical family transport.
Safest Large MPV - previous winners
- • 2014: No winner
- • 2013: No winner
- • 2012: Ford Kuga
- • 2011: No winner
- • 2010: No winner
Read the full Ford Galaxy review here...
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest small family car: Mercedes A-ClassAs well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
- 3Safest large family car: Lexus ESExecutive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
- 4Safest large SUV: Hyundai NexoNew SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
- 5Safest hybrid & electric car: Lexus ESA second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
- 6Safest supermini: Volkswagen PoloEuro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
- 7Safest small MPV: Opel/Vauxhall Crossland XThe Crossland X came as a much needed replacement for the old Meriva, offering styling in line with modern trends and great safety ratings
- 8Safest large MPV: Ford Galaxy - currently readingSafety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
- 9Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5Good-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
- 10Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-RocThe T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers