Design Award: Jaguar C-X16
Why it won...
The Design Award is handed to the most stunning motor show concept of the past 12 months, and every year, it’s decided by Auto Express readers. You voted in your thousands at www.autoexpress.co.uk, choosing from our glittering line-up of 15 show stand beauties. And one car emerged with a landslide victory...
The Jaguar C-X16 is the spiritual successor to the iconic E-Type, and won nearly 40 per cent of the vote – amazing when you consider it was up against the likes of the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and Citroen DS9.
As the name suggests, the gorgeous Jaguar is the 16th project to be penned by British design boss Ian Callum. It takes styling cues from 2011’s C-X75, with wraparound LED tail-lights and a flat deck at the back, and a rounded grille flanked by air intakes up front.
Even more impressive is the C-X16’s new hybrid powertrain. It combines a 375bhp supercharged V6 engine with a 95bhp electric motor to give 0-62mph in only 4.4 seconds and a 186mph top speed. Let’s just hope the production version – to be badged the F-Type – looks as good when it lands later this year.
- 1IntroductionThe awards everyone wants to win are back as we name the finest models in 18 categories and crown our Car of the Year for 2012
- 2Best City Car
- 3Best SuperminiPeugeot has rediscovered its touch. The RCZ coupe has been winning awards and turning heads for the last couple of years
- 4Best Compact Family CarIt was always going to take something special to beat the Volkswagen Golf, and the new BMW 1 Series is exactly that.
- 5Best Family Car
- 6Best Five-Seat MPVThe C-MAX has emerged from the shadow of the big-selling Ford Focus, and it deserves to take centre stage.
- 7Best Seven-Seat MPVThe SEAT Alhambra has made the MPV sector its own and after scooping the top prize last year, nothing in the past 12 months has been able to dislodge it from the top of the class
- 8Best Estate CarThe Skoda Superb Estate has scored a hat-trick of wins in the Estate Car category at our annual awards, and it’s going to take something seriously talented to knock it off the top step of the podium next time around.
- 9Best Crossover
- 10Best Compact SUV