3. Peugeot 206: The Sculptor
Somewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
Somewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador. He gets in and drives it at a wall, smashing up its front end. He then does the same to the rear, before getting an elephant to sit on the bonnet and taking a hammer to the rest of the bodywork while a bemused crowd looks on. After working long into the night, he holds up a crumpled bit of paper – an advert for the Peugeot 206. When he lowers this, the viewer sees that he’s dented and smashed his car to mould it into the same shape as the Peugeot.
The expert view
“A funny ad that’s a classic rug-pull technique in advertising where you simply can’t work out what he’s doing – is it an insurance job? Great ending with a cool soundtrack.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The Sculptor - currently readingSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car
- 12Audi A4: Not my styleThe star here is a cocky yuppie. He is shown test-driving an A4, interspersed with shots of him playing squash and barking orders on a trading floor.
- 13VW Golf: Best left alone" It is a classic, iconic-looking car."
- 14Nissan Almera: Sweeney
- 15Toyota: A car to be proud of"Simply funny."