Car Hire Options
Owning a car is an expensive business. Not only is there the initial purchase price to consider, you need to factor in the cost of servicing, insurance and unforeseen repairs, too. But there are ways to slash the amount you’re paying, while still enjoying the convenience of personal transport.
A number of schemes have sprung up across the UK that let you share a car with other drivers. These clubs take away the running costs associated with having your own wheels as you pay a set fee to use a vehicle.
Normally, there’s an annual charge to join, but after that you’re generally billed by the hour. The only downside is, these car clubs are often only based in large cities, so they are not suitable for everyone.
An alternative is to simply hire a car when you need it. If you use a vehicle infrequently, this is well worth considering. It’s easy to organise and some firms even deliver the car to you.
Search online for the best deals and try to book as far in advance as you can to secure a top price. Of course, nothing beats the ease of having a car on your drive ready to roll whenever you need it – but don’t think you have to ‘own’ it to enjoy that convenience.
Lease hire finance deals are becoming more popular as they fix monthly costs. Arranged by a car dealer or lease broker, these agreements are similar to buying a vehicle on hire purchase – but you never actually own it. At the end of the term, you hand it back.
To help you decide if an alternative to car ownership is right for you, we’ve summarised some of the options to consider.
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingOwning a car is an expensive business. Not only is there the initial purchase price to consider, you need to factor in the cost of servicing, insurance and unforeseen repairs, too. But there are ways to slash the amount you’re paying, while still enjoying the convenience of personal transport.
- 2Car HireCost: Daily rate £44 (Europcar)
- 3Lease HireCost: Varied monthly payment
- 4ZipcarCost: £50 (annual fee); daily rate £29
- 5StreetcarCost: £59.50 (annual fee); daily rate £39.50