Cost: £50 (annual fee); daily rate £29
How it works: Based in London, Zipcar offers 60 miles’ free driving with every booking – and even the capital’s congestion charge is taken care of! A fuel card is kept in all the cars – parked at locations across the capital – so you can fill up and forget about it.
If you do go over the free allocation, you pay 23p per mile. Members get a ‘Zipcard’ to swipe on the windscreen and unlock the doors, but the vehicles need to be booked online or over the phone first.
*Typical car: Toyota Prius *Contact: 020 7669 4000, www.zipcar.co.uk
In this review
- 1IntroductionOwning a car is an expensive business. Not only is there the initial purchase price to consider, you need to factor in the cost of servicing, insurance and unforeseen repairs, too. But there are ways to slash the amount you’re paying, while still enjoying the convenience of personal transport.
- 2Car HireCost: Daily rate £44 (Europcar)
- 3Lease HireCost: Varied monthly payment
- 4Zipcar - currently readingCost: £50 (annual fee); daily rate £29
- 5StreetcarCost: £59.50 (annual fee); daily rate £39.50