Best for ride quality
We count down the cars that float over uneven road surfaces - and name the ones that don't.
The importance of ride quality has been brought into focus by the weather at the start of 2010.
Our chart toppers take the stress out of driving on the UK’s broken roads, and isolate you from the crunch of dropping a wheel into a deep pothole. One car used to dealing with tough terrain is the Land Rover Discovery 3.
Deep-sidewall tyres and lengthy suspension travel work perfectly with the SUV’s air-suspension to smooth out roads – it’s a worthy winner.
Great spring and damper design is nothing new, though, as the ageing Rover 75 takes an impressive second place. All our top five are British-built, with the Jaguar XF and S-Type in third and fifth, and Land Rover’s Freelander fourth.
It seems nobody tackles broken UK roads like the natives! The winners 1. Land Rover Discovery 3 – “This my 2nd Disco and I feel it's a very high quality car. Most of my driving is long haul motorway type and has a very relaxed, almost limo feel about it.” Mr Clyde Brown, Abbots Leigh, Somerset. 2. Rover 75 – “I've had my 75 for four years now and it's never let me down. The running cost are very good for such a big car, it rides like a limo and has the build quality to shame the German brands.” Mr Steven Smith, Rossendale, Lancashire. 3. Jaguar XF – “It looks great and drives even better. Absolutely love it. I keep taking the long way round on journeys just so I can have a longer drive. The road holding is so smooth and precise.” Mr Graham Moulton, Northwich, Cheshire
Click here to download the full results
- 1IntroductionBuckle up! It's time to reveal your views on the best new cars for build quality, reliability, performance, running costs and more
- 2Best for performanceTo win in this category, a car needs to be able to overtake with confidence and pull strongly in all gears.
- 3Best for reliabilityThe key to true owner satisfaction is dependability. Here we reveal Britain's most reliable cars.
- 4Best for comfortWe name Britain's most comfortable cars, and shame the worst!
- 5Best for handlingOur survey crown's Britain's best handling car, rated for steering feel and chassis balance.
- 6Best for brakingWhich UK car is top of the stops... Our survey for braking performance reveals all.
- 7Best for running costsOur guide to the real cost of motoring names the cheapest, and most expensive cars in the UK.
- 8Best for build qualityIs your car free of squeaks and rattles? We name those that are.
- 9Best for ease of drivingWant a car that offers fuss free transport? Don't miss our guide to the UK's easiest cars to drive.
- 10Best for practicalityWhich car offers the best versatility. We ‘throw it all in and go’ to find out.
- 11Best for ride quality - currently readingWe count down the cars that float over uneven road surfaces - and name the ones that don't.