Hall of Fame: Andy Palmer
Why he won...
Andy Palmer might not be a household name, but the cars he’s played a major part in bringing to market can be found on driveways around the world.
Andy’s job at Nissan can be summed up by his business card – it’s busy, with his titles rolling on to five lines. In short, he’s in charge of Nissan product development worldwide – everything from the all-electric Leaf to the electrifying GT-R. Pet projects have included the outrageous Juke-R and Nissan’s new take on the New York Taxi Cab.
He’s also responsible for Nissan’s fast-growing Infiniti luxury brand (and the link with F1 world champion Red Bull). As if all that isn’t enough, he’s in charge of all of Nissan’s marketing and communications activity. Oh, and he likes a bit of punk rock, too...
- 1IntroductionThe awards everyone wants to win are back as we name the finest models in 18 categories and crown our Car of the Year for 2012
- 2Best City Car
- 3Best SuperminiPeugeot has rediscovered its touch. The RCZ coupe has been winning awards and turning heads for the last couple of years
- 4Best Compact Family CarIt was always going to take something special to beat the Volkswagen Golf, and the new BMW 1 Series is exactly that.
- 5Best Family Car
- 6Best Five-Seat MPVThe C-MAX has emerged from the shadow of the big-selling Ford Focus, and it deserves to take centre stage.
- 7Best Seven-Seat MPVThe SEAT Alhambra has made the MPV sector its own and after scooping the top prize last year, nothing in the past 12 months has been able to dislodge it from the top of the class
- 8Best Estate CarThe Skoda Superb Estate has scored a hat-trick of wins in the Estate Car category at our annual awards, and it’s going to take something seriously talented to knock it off the top step of the podium next time around.
- 9Best Crossover
- 10Best Compact SUV
- 11Best Large SUVIf the Discovery carries on at this rate, it will deserve an outstanding achievement award at our next New Car Awards.
- 12Best Hot HatchA fast Ford is back on top of the hot hatch pile, and having met the people behind the new Focus ST, we’re not surprised.
- 13Best ConvertibleThe best convertibles need to be as good with their roofs up as they are with them folded, and the Golf Cabriolet is exactly that.
- 14Best CoupePeugeot is back with a bang this year – although it never really went away.
- 15Best Roadster
- 16Best Pick-upWhen the Amarok arrived last year, it redefined what buyers can expect from a hard-working and durable pick-up truck.
- 17Best Compact Executive
- 18Best Executive CarThe BMW 5 Series has returned to the top of the executive class, and it’s all down to one model.
- 19Best Luxury Car
- 20Performance Car of the Year
- 21Green Award
- 22Design Award
- 23Driver Power AwardDriver Power Award: Skoda
- 24Safety Award
- 25Hall of Fame - currently reading
- 26Car of the Year