Used BMW 4 Series (Mk1, 2014-2020) review - What do owners think?
BMWs are usually well made and very safe, but long-term reliability is on shakier ground
BMW 4 Series owners tend to fall into one of two camps: private or company. The latter is likely to choose a diesel engine for pounding Britain’s motorways, while private buyers might opt for one of the excellent petrol engines. Owners rate the car for its connectivity and low running costs, but are less satisfied with the reliability and exterior finish. Be wary when buying a low-mileage 4 Series diesel, as future DPF issues could be on the cards. Indeed, you should opt for a petrol version if you intend to spend most of your time on short trips.
The 4 Series finished in 54th place (out of the 75 cars ranked) in our 2018 Driver Power satisfaction survey, which is a considerable fall from its position in 2015, where it came 19th. That said, the 4 Series is growing older, so you would expect it to lose places to newer, more modern cars.
BMW as a whole finished 21st out of the 26 manufacturers which ranked. Putting it above Vauxhall, Fiat and Citroen, but below Audi, Volvo and Jaguar.
In our latest 2021 survey, the BMW 4 Series finished 56th out of 75 cars, while BMW finished a disappointing 21st out of 29 cars on the list of manufacturers. A warm welcome and excellent service are two things you can’t guarantee at a BMW dealer.
Tell us about your car in the Driver Power survey...
In this review
- 1Used BMW 4 Series (Mk1, 2014-2020) reviewThe BMW 4 Series Coupe remains a great four-seater coupe with surprisingly low running costs
- 2How much will it cost?Considering the performance on offer, the 4 Series' economy and emissions are impressive
- 3How practical is it?Space in the cabin is pretty good for a coupe, but the boot is a touch shallow
- 4What's it like to drive?Diesel engines have become a BMW staple, but don't ignore the petrol options – they're smooth, fast and more economical than you'd think
- 5What should you look out for?BMWs are usually well made and very safe, but long-term reliability is shakier
- 6What do owners think? - currently readingBMWs are usually well made and very safe, but long-term reliability is on shakier ground