Advertisement

"Affordable mobility is what's needed in Africa and Asia"

The GVT OX is an affordable, easy-to-build and rugged vehicle for developing countries - and Mike Rutherford's pretty excited about it

During my scores of visits to Asia and Africa over a third of a century, I've always tried to tread lightly - and give back at least as much as I've taken.

For example, a couple of decades ago, the then new Jeep Wrangler I was testing, plus the Thai Army aiding and abetting me, selfishly combined to disturb the peace of the local tribe living among the mountains of Northern Thailand. But we - that's driver, Detroit-based manufacturer plus the military - at least got stuck in and helped compensate the locals by rebuilding a crucially important bridge for them and their animals.

Advertisement - Article continues below

On my trips to vast, perma-frosted Mongolia, nomad kids and adults could not have been happier or more grateful to receive the winter clothing and gear I carried in my Land Rovers and humbly donated to them, in return for occasional meals and overnight kips in their icy desert yurts.

Best 4x4s and SUVs

But the libraries I helped build and the essentials I personally delivered via absurdly overloaded but reassuringly reliable Jeeps to schools, orphanages, hospitals and prisons in Zambia and Botswana are the achievements I'm most proud of.

Yet even these activities pale when compared with those of philanthropist Sir Torquil Norman and car design guru, Professor Gordon Murray. Norman has had the vision and conscience to do something about what he describes as 'the industry's obsession to supply around 20 per cent of the world's population with complex cars' - while leaving the remaining 80 per cent almost entirely bereft of motorised wheels.

Global Vehicle Trust OX - header

An affordable, simple to build, all-terrain 'mobility for all' people carrier cum load-lugger is what's required. And in collaboration with the world's best known and most respected car designer (Murray), such a lightweight, less is more, two-wheel-drive workhorse is now a reality.

The OX is primarily for rural areas in developing countries. Delivered fully assembled or in Ikea-style flatpack form, it can be built on site - indoors, outdoors, garage, forest, field or desert. What's not to love?

GVT OX - the flat-pack truck

It's immediately obvious that this true MPV is a highly effective, capable and versatile Swiss army knife of a vehicle that I can see being built and used on British farms, forestry land and even festival sites.

But users in Africa and Asia come first. It's part of what they see as their humanitarian programme. And it's bloody brilliant.

What do you think of the GVT OX? Let us know in the comments below...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Recommended

Visit 'Sorry Jeep, but Kia now makes the best all-American SUV'
Kia

'Sorry Jeep, but Kia now makes the best all-American SUV'

With Kia winning the World Car of the Year 2020 award with the American-built Telluride, Mike Rutherford believes Kia has beaten Jeep at their own gam…
18 Apr 2020
Visit 'Costs may drop, but buyers’ expectations don’t'
News

'Costs may drop, but buyers’ expectations don’t'

Just because premium brands can offer cheap finance deals, it doesn't mean that they can fob buyers off with poor customer service, says Deputy editor…
15 Apr 2020
Visit “UK motor industry – your country and its people need you”
News

“UK motor industry – your country and its people need you”

Mike Rutherford thinks the motor industry can still do more to help provide life-saving medical kit
12 Apr 2020
Visit ‘What better than a thumbs-up from an existing owner?’
News

‘What better than a thumbs-up from an existing owner?’

Editor-in-chief Steve Fowler gives his view on our 2020 Driver Power survey, and is especially pleased by Kia's success
8 Apr 2020

Most Popular

Visit New 2021 Mercedes SL to be developed by AMG with 2+2 layout
Mercedes SL

New 2021 Mercedes SL to be developed by AMG with 2+2 layout

The new Mercedes SL roadster will return with a fabric roof and will share tech with the AMG GT sports car. Our exclusive images preview how it could …
29 May 2020
Visit New Ford tech kills coronavirus by heating cars to 56 degrees Celsius 
News

New Ford tech kills coronavirus by heating cars to 56 degrees Celsius 

Ford’s “heated software enhancement” system designed for American police cars is said to reduce viral concentration “by greater than 99 percent”.
27 May 2020
Visit New facelifted BMW 5 Series takes aim at Audi A6 and Mercedes E-Class
BMW 5 Series

New facelifted BMW 5 Series takes aim at Audi A6 and Mercedes E-Class

The BMW 5 Series has been updated with styling and efficiency tweaks, while a new 545e performance plug-in model joins the line-up
27 May 2020