A third of Brits already want to buy an autonomous car

Yet there are some who still find the self-driving car tech puzzling and would not feel comfortable stepping inside a driverless car

Mercedes E-Class 2016 - autonomous drive

Driverless cars are slowly gaining the public’s approval as a new poll reveals that a third of British motorists would like to buy one in the future.

A further two-thirds of motorists would feel comfortable being driven around in an autonomous car, the research commissioned by insurer AXA found. A lack of stress and not having to worry about traffic were cited by people as the biggest benefit of driverless cars. Autonomous cars not getting lost was also popular with nearly a quarter of all respondents.  

• Cheapest cars to insure

However, there are still some who will need convincing. Although 90 per cent of women currently don’t find autonomous tech worrying, the remaining 10 per cent responded they would “never get in one”, as they believed autonomous cars will never be as safe as human drivers. This is despite the fact that Previous studies have shown over 90 per cent of UK road accidents involve some human error.

David Williams, technical director at AXA Insurance, said: “It’s thought that the reduction of accidents with driverless cars could be as much as 50 per cent and that can only be good news for road safety. Additionally, they will reduce congestion and provide alternative transport for those currently unable to drive.

“Lack of information often stokes people’s fears – and a healthy dose of scepticism is to be expected. Indeed, in 1825 some people were so opposed to train travel that they said that it would be impossible to travel over 12mph without having ‘the air sucked out of your lungs’.”

What's your take on autonomous cars? Tell us in the comments below... 

Recommended

Pay-per-mile road pricing no longer politically toxic, study suggests
Motorway
News

Pay-per-mile road pricing no longer politically toxic, study suggests

The Social Market Foundation says fuel duty unfairness opens the door for road pricing schemes
15 Oct 2021
Transport secretary Grant Shapps confirms digital driving licences are on the way
Digital driving licence
Consumer news

Transport secretary Grant Shapps confirms digital driving licences are on the way

DVLA plans to offer a digital provisional driving licence by 2024, with full digital licences to follow at a later date
17 Sep 2021
Electric car charge points to be installed in every new home in the UK
Home charging point
News

Electric car charge points to be installed in every new home in the UK

England will be the first country in the world to introduce mandatory electric car charging points for new-build homes
10 Sep 2021
Government asks for more Smart Motorway safety data with revised Highway Code on the way
smart motorway
News

Government asks for more Smart Motorway safety data with revised Highway Code on the way

A revised version of the Highway Code will cover Smart Motorway driving, as National Highways pledges to improve data and monitoring
8 Sep 2021

Most Popular

New 2022 Range Rover leaks: first look at new Land Rover flagship SUV
Range Rover leak - front
Land Rover Range Rover

New 2022 Range Rover leaks: first look at new Land Rover flagship SUV

Images of what could be the next Range Rover have appeared on social media ahead of next week’s reveal
21 Oct 2021
Cupra Born vs Mercedes EQA vs Volvo C40 Recharge: 2021 group test review
Cupra Born vs Mercedes EQA vs Volvo C40 Recharge
Car group tests

Cupra Born vs Mercedes EQA vs Volvo C40 Recharge: 2021 group test review

The all-electric Volvo C40 Recharge meets another premium wannabe in the Cupra Born. But can they beat the super-posh new Mercedes EQA?
19 Oct 2021
New Ford Mustang Mach-E GT 2021 review
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT - front
Ford Mustang Mach-E

New Ford Mustang Mach-E GT 2021 review

With 480bhp and a 310-mile range, does the new Ford Mustang Mach-E GT offers the perfect blend of performance and practicality? We find out...
19 Oct 2021