Porsche Macan Turbo
If you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
Price: £59,300Engine: 3.6-litre V6 twin-turboPower: 395bhpTorque: 550Nm0-62mph: 4.8 secsTop speed: 165mph
If you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again. The Porsche Macan has to be experienced to be believed, because it combines the everyday usability of a five-door SUV with the handling and performance we’ve come to expect from Porsche’s sports cars.
While it shares its basic layout with the Audi Q5, Porsche has developed the Macan from the ground up, so it gets bodywork inspired by Porsche’s sports cars, while everything under the skin is designed with performance in mind. The flagship Macan Turbo gets a 395bhp twin-turbo V6, and variable valve timing and direct injection mean there’s plenty of power across the rev range.
It’s mated to a seven-speed PDK gearbox, which delivers smooth, rapid shifts even at full throttle, while the four-wheel-drive system, standard adaptive dampers and clever Porsche Traction Management electronics mean the Macan Turbo is able to put a smile on your face on roads where normal SUVs would be a real handful.
As with other Porsche models, there are some performance enhancing options for the Macan Turbo. Torque vectoring takes handling to another level, while the Sport Chrono package adds launch control, which makes the most of the Turbo’s explosive performance off the line.
- 1IntroductionHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan Turbo - currently readingIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS
- 8VW Golf RThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS
- 11Tesla Model S P90DThe Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet