New Car Awards 2014: best advertising campaign
Mercedes Intelligent Drive: ‘Chicken' ad is this year's winner for best advertising campaign
Our first-ever award for best advertising campaign goes to Mercedes, which went for bold with the TV commercial for its new S-Class. Featuring a room full of chickens moving to the beat of a Diana Ross soundtrack, the quirky ad cleverly demonstrates the luxury saloon’s Magic Body Control adaptive suspension without ever showing an image of the car.
Developed by German agency Jung von Matt and originally intended only for broadcast in Mercedes’ home market, the 45-second film found its way on to YouTube and became an Internet sensation, racking up more than 11 million hits in just nine months.
The idea behind the ad is simple and effective, and perfectly highlights how the S-Class’ trick suspension works. As a pair of white-gloved hands moves the chicken’s body up and down and side to side, the bird’s head stays perfectly level. By contrast, the car uses cameras to read the road ahead and adjusts the air springs and adaptive dampers to keep the body steady over bumps.
Aside from being a neat way to highlight the limo’s hi-tech kit, the humorous ad campaign brought the Mercedes brand to the attention of a wider audience – and that’s ultimately what every advertising campaign aims to do.
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the YearThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended