Safest large SUV: Hyundai Nexo
New SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
One of the most significant cars Euro NCAP tested in 2018 was the Hyundai Nexo. It was the first hydrogen fuel cell vehicle to be tested by the organisation, and its Best Large Off-Road award demonstrates that cars using fuel cell technology are just as safe as conventional petrol or diesel models in the event of an accident.
The Nexo is due to go on sale in 2019, and it will come with a five-star Euro NCAP rating to go with its hydrogen-powered electric drive system. Percentage scores were 94% (adult protection), 87% (child protection) and 67% (pedestrian protection), while the Nexo has an 80% score for its safety assist systems.
Assistance comes in the forms of speed limit detection, lane keeping and autonomous emergency braking, while the Nexo's body remained intact under all collision tests, with no damage to the hydrogen system detected.
While refuelling is still an issue with hydrogen cars due to the lack of fuel stations that are able to fill them, the Nexo's tests at least prove that manufacturers are taking safety seriously, and it shouldn't be any more of a concern than it is for a conventional SUV.
Safest large SUV - previous winners
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest small family car: Mercedes A-ClassAs well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
- 3Safest large family car: Lexus ESExecutive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
- 4Safest large SUV: Hyundai Nexo - currently readingNew SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
- 5Safest hybrid & electric car: Lexus ESA second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
- 6Safest supermini: Volkswagen PoloEuro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
- 7Safest small MPV: Opel/Vauxhall Crossland XThe Crossland X came as a much needed replacement for the old Meriva, offering styling in line with modern trends and great safety ratings
- 8Safest large MPV: Ford GalaxySafety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
- 9Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5Good-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
- 10Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-RocThe T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers
- 11Safest executive car: Volkswagen ArteonPremium quality mixed with excellent safety and low running costs. What’s not to like about the VW Arteon?